EV Macan - again

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
EngineerMK

Post by EngineerMK »

So if all the EV's are coming from China our economy will be ruined as all the cash flows out of the UK.

The UK's lack of a battery factory is a huge issue, it needs to built now and ready soon... not at the eleventh hour; 31 Dec 2029. With out a UK based factory UK car production is doomed. Try shipping a battery (that's not fitted in a working vehicle) across the English Channel; air freighters won't touch them, nor will ship operators and euro tunnel say 'NO'. Believe me I've tried for a work project, its impossible.

Low volume producers (lead by the Italians) are seeking an exemption from the ICE ban in 2030. I can see the deadline date stretching out as we get closer to it.

kalniel

Post by kalniel »

EngineerMK wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:17 am So if all the EV's are coming from China our economy will be ruined as all the cash flows out of the UK.
Don't we already send nearly all our car manufacturing cash outside the UK?
EngineerMK

Post by EngineerMK »

we make and export a lot of cars from the UK. Nissan and Mini in big numbers; then JLR. And nowhere else can make expensive luxury cars the way the Bristish car; Aston Martin, Bentley and Rolls Royce all help our balance of payments. as do BMW and Ford’s engine plants.

We also excell at vehicle R&D
Woodhouse

Post by Woodhouse »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:26 pm Whilst waiting for the pedestrian crossing lights to change for me there was a constant stream of vehicles all doing 40+ mph and even standing there for no longer than one minute I could taste and smell the pollution from the ICE power units.

EV cannot come fast enough, far cleaner air in our Cities and near schools, hospitals etc os bound to be a good thing.

No more bing stuck in the traffic jams breathing in all that air pollution.

The health benefits will far outweigh any other consideration.

EV will rule, get used to it.

If you are not going to get used to it then wtf are you petrolheads going to do when there is no new petrol powered Porsche cars?
Latest data is that >50% small particulate pollution comes from tyres rather than the combustion element of a car.
Macan S - MY23 - PRG1YBJ5 - (his)

F60 Mini Countryman Cooper S (hers)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

All BEVs are heavier than their equivalent ICE vehicle and so require bigger tyres. BEVs consequently produce even more tyre particulates! :oops: :oops: :o :twisted:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Interesting 10 minute video about Porsche's BEV and ICE developments with the MACAN EV getting the lion share of the overview.....

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
stimshady

Post by stimshady »

EngineerMK wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:17 am I can see the deadline date stretching out as we get closer to it.

100% - by decades!
Current:

Ferrari 488 GTB
Porsche Macan S
Ferguson TEF20 (in bits)

Current build due April ‘23 http://www.porsche-code.com/PPKMGX52
GTB

Post by GTB »

Without a doubt the legislation here in the UK, Europe and Globally will change with so called "Deadlines" being extended.
As more people and we have seen already people take up EV's. issues with range anxiety and also availibility of charging facilities already making problems for owners, figures, like all fiures and stats can easily be manipulated depending on who is producing the reports, but we all know the rise in sales and growth has been cuase by buisness purchases because of the tax benefits.
Once the "Masses" start looking, availibility of charging facilities especially at their home residence and those in dense areas and blocks of multi occupancy use then liability claims for tripping over charging cables, theft of charging cables and electric shocks will only increase.

As I have mentioned before, 99.9% of people especially politicians and legislators only just look at cars, they do not consider every application of an I.C.E Engine. The thought of me spending a day fishing on Loch Lomond with only a electric rather than my 4hp four stroke outboard would fill me with dread in fact just wouldnt do it.

Go back to my original posts, Im not anti EV. What i do preach is that EV's are only one solution for the right application and right users. There will and are other energy solutions for other applications and users. Withought doubt e-fuel will be a major impact on many applications and I hope the prestige car manufacturers including Porsche go down that route.
100% EV is just not going to happen simply because of availibility of the raw materials required, also technology is changing so fast it hasnt settled so a big risk not only to the vehicle purchaser but also charging facility owners in making a return. We also dont have the electricity capacity to generate whats need for 100% EV take up. I also have two clients at the moment making legal claims against the suppliers of their charging equipment that they invested six figure sums on just three years ago to be told that hardware/software is no longer "Supported" and they should invest in the latest chargers!!
Also been a lot more work carried out on fire safety as more EV's mean more fires and that will have implications for where charging can take place.

Im not saying petrol and diesel as we have at this time will still be with us in five/ten/twenty years but there will be liquid fuels for sure.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
2japs

Post by 2japs »

At OPC yesterday, chatting to SE over a coffee re Macan EV, they are taking refundable deposits of £1k, they already have over 100 deposits and even if I placed one yesterday, the wait for me after launch would be a year! At 68 years not so young, will be at least 70 when I would take delivery 😬
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
EngineerMK

Post by EngineerMK »

All this assumes VW can get the software sorted... The latest shake up see a new head of software at VW appointed two days ago
https://europe.autonews.com/move/vw-con ... ware-chief