M340i to Macan T

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

crockers wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:59 pm Have to disagree Col. the T has a better basic spec than the S. The only thing the S has over the T is the engine. I’ve driven both. The T does handle better than the S. it just loses out on any straight. I agree the S is the better performer. Not a better handing car.
Forgetting the engine - how is the S better specced ?
For those who say they are similarly priced. Again I’d say look at the spec. Spec for spec the S is a good £6k more.
The T is about 10% better on economy. Not a great difference so I’d not get hung up on that.
Like all things - drive both then decide.
The T basically has the lowered suspension, sports exhaust and sports chrono.

S has the 2.9 litre 6 pot hence a much superior spec.

To improve the handling of the S simply add air suspension and set it on low.

Sports Exhaust is subjective, it is a fair amount of cash for something that maybe is not used that often. All Macan’s with PSE that I have driven sound great when accelerating but drone badly at constant speed but the beauty of the system is that there is an off switch.

A long test drive of each is the answer then make up own mind on what will suit the best.

Me, I would now say say forget all except a GTS.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

My S has air suspension which I permanently set low. I have an individual mode set with Sport mode and Sport++ suspension and the car handles like a dream. Even if the T is slightly better than that, which I doubt, I’d never trade my V6 engine having now had it for 5 months. It is truly a dream of an engine in my opinion.

Each to their own though :)
Macan S MY 2023
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:46 am
crockers wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:59 pm Have to disagree Col. the T has a better basic spec than the S. The only thing the S has over the T is the engine. I’ve driven both. The T does handle better than the S. it just loses out on any straight. I agree the S is the better performer. Not a better handing car.
For those who say they are similarly priced. Again I’d say look at the spec. Spec for spec the S is a good £6k more.
The T is about 10% better on economy. Not a great difference so I’d not get hung up on that.

Sports Exhaust is subjective, it is a fair amount of cash for something that maybe is not used that often. All Macan’s with PSE that I have driven sound great when accelerating but drone badly at constant speed but the beauty of the system is that there is an off switch.

A long test drive of each is the answer then make up own mind on what will suit the best.

Slight correction Col, yes the T has 15mm lowered suspension and chrono, has the sports tailpipes in black but not full PSE as standard.
Re GTS , not all of us can afford it or need it, however isn’t the gen 3 S pretty much a gen 2 GTS ?
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

2japs wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:12 pm

Slight correction Col, yes the T has 15mm lowered suspension and chrono, has the sports tailpipes in black but not full PSE as standard.
Re GTS , not all of us can afford it or need it, however isn’t the gen 3 S pretty much a gen 2 GTS ?
Same engine (2.9 6-cyl), but different suspension set up, wheels, seats,with sport chrono and bodywork and headlight differences.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Skyway wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:36 pm My S has air suspension which I permanently set low. I have an individual mode set with Sport mode and Sport++ suspension and the car handles like a dream. Even if the T is slightly better than that, which I doubt, I’d never trade my V6 engine having now had it for 5 months. It is truly a dream of an engine in my opinion.

Each to their own though :)
The 4 pot engined macans do handle nicer, less weight over the front

Diesels were the worst
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
crockers

Post by crockers »

Not wishing to cause offence col. you said the Scwas better specced than the T. I said - bar the engine / it is not. The S doesn’t come with air it’s an option. The S doesn’t come with sports Chrono it’s an option. The T doesn’t have sports exhaust nor does the S. the T has sport tips. The basic 8 way seats in the T are better than the basic S 8 way seats.
I have never said the T is better than the S but the S (spec for spec) is NOT just £1000 more expensive- it’s a lot more.

So the basic T is better specced than the basic S (bar engines).

👍
Deleted User 5286

Post by Deleted User 5286 »

If I was reordering, the two Macan models I would rule out would be the Base and GTS ( the later because for me it’s too expensive for what you get)
Sweet spots in the range has to be the T & S dependent on priorities.
For me I opted for the v6 with a lesser spec but completely get why some choose the T which is a fine car
RVO

Post by RVO »

I haven’t driven an T but after having the gen 3 base macan for just under a year, whilst it was a great car and did everything well, it just didn’t feel special. I preferred taking my wife’s GLA 45 for a drive over the macan!
I’ve had a 2012 335i, and if I had come from that to the base macan, I’d have been disappointed. So as others have said, have a long test drive in a T and an S and go from there.

I had to order the car with the quickest lead time, as my lease was ending, so the base ticked that box, as the S was too long to wait.
I’ve now actually sold the macan, and I’m picking up a gen 2 macan turbo on Wednesday!
Current - Gen 2 Macan Turbo, GLA45 AMG
Previous - Gen 3 Macan, Audi A6, 335i coupe , 330ci coupe
Wightwash

Post by Wightwash »

Hey Macan385,

When I locked in my spec the Bose option was temporarily unavailable which was initially annoying as I intended to include it as it was fitted in all the cars I had test driven. However, having taken delivery of the car I have no complaints about the standard system :-) I did opt for power steering plus, it provides very low speed assist for manoeuvring and nothing more. I also opted for the larger fuel tank.

If you have only driven the base so far you’ll find the T’s dynamics (and its seats) noticeably different. Before buying my macan I managed to arrange decent back to back test drives (same mixed route/weather/day etc) of a T running non-air but fitted with PTV+, and an S with air suspension and SC. Quite different cars indeed, both with pros and cons lending themselves to different drivers priorities.

Papaya looks good in the flesh but I went Gentian Blue :-)
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)