Wheel insurance & tyres

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
GillyN

Post by GillyN »

Hi,
Has anyone else had problems with the wheel insurance Porsche East London (Jardin Group) sell as part of the new car buying process?
I submitted a claim for kurb damage and had it turned down on the basis the insurers say my wheels are corroded - based on a couple of poor quality photos submitted as part of the claim process. My car went in for service the following week, so I asked Porsche East London to take a look and they said no corrosion just kerb damage and chips. They wrote a report and printed it on the invoice but the insurers still won't pay out and insist its corrosion (without even inspecting the car themselves). They will only offer a non- guaranteed repair (which means they could effectively ruin the wheels and I'd have no come-back) or offered a measly contribution to me getting the refurbishment done myself. The wheels are the black painted one's.

Also, a couple of weeks prior to that, I put it into my local MOT garage for its first MOT and they said it needed two rear tyres. so I had them fitted there. When it went into porsche for service a week later, they advised me that the wrong tyres had been put on : N1's intead of N0's. I went back to the MOT garage who said they'd ordered the correct one's but obviously failed to check before fitting them. But as I'd driven on them for a week they refused to change them. Porsche said my warranty would be invalidated with the wrong tyres on, so I've had no real alternative but to get them changed ( at my cost). So I've now got two brand new Pirelli N1 tyres sitting in my back garden and my bank account is £550 lighter! Any suggestions where the best place is for me to sell them?

Thank you!

Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Re: the second point about tyres.

I wouldn't take that from the garage, they've fitted you the wrong product which you then drove off in good faith they fitted what you requested.

If you paid on credit card, ask you bank to charge back and say to the garage you'll drop off their tyres. Or write a letter before action to small claims court. You could advise the garage you're about to take this route to gently suggest it may save them the hassle to just take the tyres back and refund you the money.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Plyphon wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:16 am Re: the second point about tyres.

I wouldn't take that from the garage, they've fitted you the wrong product which you then drove off in good faith they fitted what you requested.

If you paid on credit card, ask you bank to charge back and say to the garage you'll drop off their tyres. Or write a letter before action to small claims court. You could advise the garage you're about to take this route to gently suggest it may save them the hassle to just take the tyres back and refund you the money.
+1

Also proves how rubbish those insurances are. My daughter had something similar with a small dent that the insurers absolutely suggested a body shop job only and not a SMART repair. My PDR guy got the whole thing done in less than an hour. We then sent this invoice and photos of completed job to them and threatened small claims. They then paid for it in full ;)

I'd say it's just best to self insure these types of things these days.
Macan S MY 2023
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Plyphon wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:16 am Re: the second point about tyres.

Agreed. I have the wrong tyres fitted to my old MK1 Focus RS. Had the wrong rating on them.

Took it back a couple weeks later once I realised. They swapped them over straight away.

As for the whole warranty thing. Say your engine blows up. Would Porsche really turn down a warranty request on an engine issue just because the wrong tyres were fitted? I can't possibly think that would be true.
GillyN

Post by GillyN »

Stupidly I didn’t pay with a credit card and the garage insist there’s nothing wrong with losing N0 and N1 tyres. And the guys in garage don’t seem like the type to pick a fight with!

I’m sure the fact that Porsche stamped all over the car Health check that the rear tyres are unapproved and not recommended for this car would not bode well, should I have had an accident when they were on it.

And where I went to get them replaced agreed that N0 and N1’s shouldn’t be mixed.

So now I’ve changed them, i Just need to pass on the N1’s somehow.
andreas

Post by andreas »

For wheels and tyres, I self-insure. Much, much cheaper.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

andreas wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:58 pm For wheels and tyres, I self-insure. Much, much cheaper.

Me too! But I also choose to self-insure rather than to buy an extended warranty! :P

It’s all to do with one’s attitude to risk, as well as the means to pay oneself, if the worst happens. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
andreas

Post by andreas »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:24 pm

Me too! But I also choose to self-insure rather than to buy an extended warranty! :P
Yes, I don't think I'll renew the extended warranty when it expires.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Subculture

Post by Subculture »

Had wheel & tyre insurance just the once and anges ago now.
As with other insurance policies they are full of restrictions.
I learnt very quickly it’s easier and cheaper to look after your wheels - if you can - and regardless if not just get done and fixed yourself.
If you are going back eg swapping out to Porsche btw, they as a minimum re-skim the wheels anyway, learnt this just recently as my trade in had a couple of road rash bits, they sorted and it’s back up looking new.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

andreas wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:58 pm For wheels and tyres, I self-insure. Much, much cheaper.
+1 Too many conditions in these policies
Macan S MY 2023