GTS order in - thoughts on spec

All your ordering information here!
jonpinky

Post by jonpinky »

Thanks for the input!

@Plyphon your spec does seem very similar to mine. Seems like your thoughts are similar too, GTS exterior package painted in satin Black - this was something the dealer said 'oh you'll want this, most people do', when I had a look on the configurator I wasn't too keen so think this one will go.

I'll probably tick the torque vectoring in the end, probably isn't something you will feel on the road and even test driving two side by side I wouldn't want to be pushing on enough to test it. My current car is a x-drive 3 series touring, prior to that I had the 2 wheel drive version and much preferred the handling of the 2 wheel drive - so a bit nervous of having another AWD, but not much alternative so if it make it feel more rear driven then I'll probably go for it. Might swap out the Bose for it to keep the costs reasonable...

Extended leather - is there a way of having the extended leather without the race-tex and keeping the darker dials. Actually, how do people find the race-tex - I went for full leather as a default but might be missing a trick here?

PS+ - yep, if this was a variable ratio thing I wouldn't be looking at it. Not really sure I would use this anyway - it was another one where I was told everyone ticks it so will think again when locking in.

@Col Lamb Good shout on the spare wheel, I'll add this one in.

Driver assistance - agree, I'll have a think on these, adaptive cruise would be useful I think but not so sure on the speed limit and lane keeping (only benefit I can see is on long tiring motorway drives, but should really be taking breaks anyway).

So much to think about, and so long to wait - sure there will be loads of tweaks!
Macan GTS (April 2024) - PRHFCP21

Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

I like the race-tex - makes it feel decidedly 'GTS' if that makes sense. Some do not like it, however. My race-tex interior gets a few comments from other car guys.

I like the ACC system and the speed sign recognition also. Both work quite well in my experience. if you do lots of city driving then the speed sign is great for a bit of peace of mind around changing speed limits.

I didn't bother with lane keep assist, though. I've heard VW's software here (which Porsche use AFAIK) isn't terribly good - tends to bounce you from line to line rather than holding you steady.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

MoonageMin wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:58 pm I just ordered a Macan GTS as well, with a build date for September, expected delivery in October.
This will also be my first Porsche, coming from a long history of BMW ownership other than the odd Mini and a Golf sprinkled in there, most recent being an X5.

So my opinions are probably the least valid ones you would get as I’m speaking from a position of zero ownership experience but thought it might be helpful from the perspective of someone who’s also doing a BMW to Porsche Macan GTS transition, and it’s only based on the few test drives I have done and material amounts of desk research I have done across various forums and the like.
Interesting, I'm now looking at making the swap from my current X5 40d to a Macan S. Had the X5 for 6 years now, and had a E82 135i DCT for six years prior to that, so have 12 years of BMW ownership behind me. Really don't need the size of the X5 anymore, but I find the split tailgate so useful, and love the BMW 'Comfort' seats in mine and the HK audio and I-drive functionality, and sometimes being able to see distance to empty of over 700 miles after filling it up :lol:
For me now its either change to the Macan or keep the X5 and run it into the ground, as have one more change before retirement, and there's just nothing else out there I fancy changing the X5 for.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

GeeRam wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:00 pm
MoonageMin wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:58 pm I just ordered a Macan GTS as well, with a build date for September, expected delivery in October.
This will also be my first Porsche, coming from a long history of BMW ownership other than the odd Mini and a Golf sprinkled in there, most recent being an X5.

So my opinions are probably the least valid ones you would get as I’m speaking from a position of zero ownership experience but thought it might be helpful from the perspective of someone who’s also doing a BMW to Porsche Macan GTS transition, and it’s only based on the few test drives I have done and material amounts of desk research I have done across various forums and the like.
Interesting, I'm now looking at making the swap from my current X5 40d to a Macan S. Had the X5 for 6 years now, and had a E82 135i DCT for six years prior to that, so have 12 years of BMW ownership behind me. Really don't need the size of the X5 anymore, but I find the split tailgate so useful, and love the BMW 'Comfort' seats in mine and the HK audio and I-drive functionality, and sometimes being able to see distance to empty of over 700 miles after filling it up :lol:
For me now its either change to the Macan or keep the X5 and run it into the ground, as have one more change before retirement, and there's just nothing else out there I fancy changing the X5 for.
I suggest that you visit an OPC and try to arrange a weekend loan of an S.

If they baulk at it then try another OPC from a different dealership chain.

You would then get a good run at seeing if a Macan is for you.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

X5 40d is a mighty fine car and that’s the best diesel engine (even better in the 50d with extra turbo). Macan will be quicker in one way but slower in other ways although it will “handle” better.
The thing is, as I have found, throwing SUV’s around (even a Macan) isn’t that much fun cos physics always wins and so I end up enjoying the car, but not from throwing at twisties etc.
I suspect I would enjoy the tech and engine just as much in a nice X5…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Jon A wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:35 pm X5 40d is a mighty fine car and that’s the best diesel engine (even better in the 50d with extra turbo). Macan will be quicker in one way but slower in other ways although it will “handle” better.
The thing is, as I have found, throwing SUV’s around (even a Macan) isn’t that much fun cos physics always wins and so I end up enjoying the car, but not from throwing at twisties etc.
I suspect I would enjoy the tech and engine just as much in a nice X5…
My X5 is pretty good at defining physics laws as although its only a SE not a M-Sport, I specced it with the dynamic chassis option, so its got the active anti-roll bars and bigger rear diff with LSD etc.,etc..... It really ought not to be able to do what it can do in all honesty. The brakes are awful though, stopping 2.2T with 2-pot calipers can be interesting........but as you say, its an SUV, not a sports car. I have a weekend toy for silly fun anyway.
The only thing I'm worried about loosing with getting rid of the X5 is the split high level rear tailgate which is prefect for stuff I often do at weekends, and being able to zoom in and out of the nav screen with the I-drive dial without having to reach forward to the Nav unit.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^^ you can zoom in and out with the knob to the right of the Sat Nav screen. You can also pinch and expand on the screen with two fingers.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
crockers

Post by crockers »

Plyphon wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:56 am I like the race-tex - makes it feel decidedly 'GTS' if that makes sense. Some do not like it, however. My race-tex interior gets a few comments from other car guys.

I like the ACC system and the speed sign recognition also. Both work quite well in my experience. if you do lots of city driving then the speed sign is great for a bit of peace of mind around changing speed limits.

I didn't bother with lane keep assist, though. I've heard VW's software here (which Porsche use AFAIK) isn't terribly good - tends to bounce you from line to line rather than holding you steady.
I find the ACC OK. There are better ones out there. The LKA isn't much cop. It does (when it feels like it) pull you straight but Volvo 5 years ago with their Pilot Assist system is far superior.
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:36 pm ^^^ you can zoom in and out with the knob to the right of the Sat Nav screen. You can also pinch and expand on the screen with two fingers.
Thanks for that, especially about using the knob on the right. Shame you can do this from a scroll wheel on the steering wheel for example. Anything that involves too much concentration away from the road is not got in my view, but such things don't seem to concern most car makers these days....
Funny I was in an OPC yesterday and asked the sales guy the same question, and he said the only way was pinch/expanding with your fingers on the touch screen... :roll:
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

GeeRam wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:35 pm
SAC1 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:36 pm ^^^ you can zoom in and out with the knob to the right of the Sat Nav screen. You can also pinch and expand on the screen with two fingers.
Thanks for that, especially about using the knob on the right. Shame you can do this from a scroll wheel on the steering wheel for example. Anything that involves too much concentration away from the road is not got in my view, but such things don't seem to concern most car makers these days....
Funny I was in an OPC yesterday and asked the sales guy the same question, and he said the only way was pinch/expanding with your fingers on the touch screen... :roll:
If you have the Nav screen selected for the the right hand MFD you can use the scroll on the steering wheel to zoom in/out, I don't find it necessary. You can also select a setting for it to do so automatically as it sees fit ;)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP