Taycan...any owners on here? Talk to me...

The place to discuss everything else..
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Ian.g wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:41 pm I am always amazed how anti-EV this forum is. I have a Taycan and it is a fantastic car. I had a Macan for 5 years and enjoyed it but to my mind the Taycan looks better, drives better, performs better and I have no regrets buying it. It isn't an SUV and if you want an SUV then obviously it is not for you. It is best bought through a company so the depreciation is pretty much halved because it comes out of pre-tax income. That makes it more affordable, so private buying a new one might work out costly. I think there are now (or soon will be) some good deals on second hand ones. Most of the gremlins have been ironed out with the big software updated about 1 year ago, but obviously the newer you buy, the better.

The sweet spot is probably the 4S, both in terms of performance and cost. GTS obviously if you want that look. The Turbo is however amazing with proper supercar performance. Sorry guys, but the Macan doesn't even come close. The driving dynamics of an electric drive train with amazing responsiveness make ICE cars seem old fashioned. I drove a Macan GTS a while back - it was a nice car, but the drive just seemed pedestrian in comparison to the Taycan. I also drove a 2L base model which was terrible.

I would only buy one now as a private buyer if I could get a good deal on a second hand one and it fitted my use - i.e. you need off road parking where you can install your own charger and you don't want to be doing >200/day every day unless you can charge at the other end. So it would work for most people most of the time I suspect. I am currently planning to keep mine for several years, partly because of my circumstances and partly to mitigate the depreciation. But that won't be a hardship because it is such a good car.

If the OP hasn't driven one, go and take a look. Drive a 4S first. Then see if you can take a Turbo out. Check out the insurance as well - It has gone up a lot this year. I am not looking forward to renewing mine in January - but that also applies to all cars across the board. The sedan is great and I prefer the look however if you need the boot the a CT or ST is better. They drive the same really.

Anyway, you can tell that I think it is a great car. I really enjoyed my 5 years in a Macan and my biggest worry changing it was that I would regret the move and miss the Macan. But I really didn't have anything to worry about!
Hi Ian. I ended up getting a Macan GTS which I love.

If it was to have been a taycan it would have had to have been a ST but they weren't in budget and as a private buyer the depreciation scared the s**t out of me. And the insurance quote was nearly double the Macan!!!... I was actually disappointed as I would have really liked one.

On the subject of acceleration...I was looking (for the Mrs as a bit of a school taxi etc) at the new Volvo ex30...the smallest, cheapest and fastest Volvo you can get. 0-62mph in 3.6 seconds....in a Volvo 🤪 that's crazy...and even crazier to think that a volvo driver would even try it! There's got to be a point where these are just too quick for the average Joe to control?
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160

Monaco2323

Post by Monaco2323 »

Ian.g wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:41 pm I am always amazed how anti-EV this forum is. I have a Taycan and it is a fantastic car. I had a Macan for 5 years and enjoyed it but to my mind the Taycan looks better, drives better, performs better and I have no regrets buying it. It isn't an SUV and if you want an SUV then obviously it is not for you. It is best bought through a company so the depreciation is pretty much halved because it comes out of pre-tax income. That makes it more affordable, so private buying a new one might work out costly. I think there are now (or soon will be) some good deals on second hand ones. Most of the gremlins have been ironed out with the big software updated about 1 year ago, but obviously the newer you buy, the better.

The sweet spot is probably the 4S, both in terms of performance and cost. GTS obviously if you want that look. The Turbo is however amazing with proper supercar performance. Sorry guys, but the Macan doesn't even come close. The driving dynamics of an electric drive train with amazing responsiveness make ICE cars seem old fashioned. I drove a Macan GTS a while back - it was a nice car, but the drive just seemed pedestrian in comparison to the Taycan. I also drove a 2L base model which was terrible.

I would only buy one now as a private buyer if I could get a good deal on a second hand one and it fitted my use - i.e. you need off road parking where you can install your own charger and you don't want to be doing >200/day every day unless you can charge at the other end. So it would work for most people most of the time I suspect. I am currently planning to keep mine for several years, partly because of my circumstances and partly to mitigate the depreciation. But that won't be a hardship because it is such a good car.

If the OP hasn't driven one, go and take a look. Drive a 4S first. Then see if you can take a Turbo out. Check out the insurance as well - It has gone up a lot this year. I am not looking forward to renewing mine in January - but that also applies to all cars across the board. The sedan is great and I prefer the look however if you need the boot the a CT or ST is better. They drive the same really.

Anyway, you can tell that I think it is a great car. I really enjoyed my 5 years in a Macan and my biggest worry changing it was that I would regret the move and miss the Macan. But I really didn't have anything to worry about!
Luckily everybody is entitled to their view and opinion :)
In my opinion they are not comparable….
I do not like the drive of the taycan turbo, it is very fast … which is fun for a couple times but not for daily use or even on vacation...tech is amazing! but I also think taycan is very ugly and did not age well…. Front side looks like a old japanese/korean designed car….

ICE cars have an in my view different experience and significantly more fulfilling then EV’s …
… Also drive 20 times a year to Europe ( long distance)
EV infrastructure is really shit on routes as I have paid attention to charger downtime/costs/queues/ barely any taycans….
Im 32 now, so lets see whats up in 5 years….

Maybe there will be a good looking taycan… one day…… :lol:
Untill then I wish all the taycans owners all the best and try to avoid seeing your own reflection :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
-----------------------------
On order : 992 Carrera S
Current : 2024 Macan

Ex cars:
2018 White Audi A5 45 TSFI Quattro Coupe
2015 Scuba Blue Audi TT
2016 Silver Chrysler 300 SRT
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

The joys of Taycan ownership......not!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/2548636 ... -cannabis/
Last edited by SAC1 on Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

AndyC160 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:50 pm

Hi Ian. I ended up getting a Macan GTS which I love.

If it was to have been a taycan it would have had to have been a ST but they weren't in budget and as a private buyer the depreciation scared the s**t out of me. And the insurance quote was nearly double the Macan!!!... I was actually disappointed as I would have really liked one.

On the subject of acceleration...I was looking (for the Mrs as a bit of a school taxi etc) at the new Volvo ex30...the smallest, cheapest and fastest Volvo you can get. 0-62mph in 3.6 seconds....in a Volvo 🤪 that's crazy...and even crazier to think that a volvo driver would even try it! There's got to be a point where these are just too quick for the average Joe to control?
Having recently test driven the range topping Volvo XC90 hybrid, my perspective is any electric manufacturer can make a vehicle go fast, the skill is in engineering the ride to not make you feel sick because it’s jerky. It also seems a number of hybrid/EVs the brakes have little to no feel and the weight can be very noticeable. In this I really think Porsche did a great job making the Taycan feel like a ‘proper’ car with genuine 2 pedal driving, a smooth/quiet ride and an engaging feel whilst still having the EV acceleration party trick - although why anyone would ever want anything faster than a RWD/4S is beyond me…. So you can go 0-60 quickly in a Volvo but you might not like doing so 😅
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

DRW wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:43 pm Go into a dealership and offer half of the asking price then in 12 months that is what it will be worth and you won't lose your shirt??

DRW
Great

So you go to an OPC and buy a used Taycan for £60,000

Drive it for 10 years or until the batteries die then look at the monthly cost of ownership.

Even if it is scrapped after 10 years of ones ownership that works out at £500 per month which surely ain't bad.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
DRW

Post by DRW »

I thought EV cars were supposed to be sustainable, surely scrapping a ten year old car is far from that?

Comparing EV performance against IC is pointless EV max torque at 0 RPM, which gives them the edge, I worked with EV development and appreciated the amazing acceleration, my benchmark for adoption is a vehicle with a 500 mile range, not depreciating by 50% in the first year.

I have never driven a Tacan but am sure it is amazing but only for 150 miles Lol.
pmg

Post by pmg »

A Gen1 Taycan new as WLTP range of about 300 miles, in practice at most 200 usable (10 to 80%). As the car ages this reduces and reduces more quickly if fast charging regularly used. A ten year old Taycan could be struggling to make usable 100 mile range between charges. On a long motorway trip coul;d need charging after an hour's driving.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8