Hello Porsche People....Macan Diesel 2015-2018 to buy?

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Cordshoes

Post by Cordshoes »

Hello,
as the subject above states I am looking actively to buy a Macan aged from about 2015-2018?
Either a Macan or a Mercedes from my comfort zone, probably a GLC Coupe (can I mention other makes on here :o ?)

Would prefer a Diesel Macan or possibly a Petrol 2.0 version. Live not far from Manchester.

Any input on the above Porsche options above would be gratefully received., either on the vehicles themselves or on buying hints/tips.

Or anybody who wants to sell one direct for efficiently, obviously.

Thanks

rhinoman

Post by rhinoman »

Cordshoes wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:51 pm Hello,
as the subject above states I am looking actively to buy a Macan aged from about 2015-2018?
Either a Macan or a Mercedes from my comfort zone, probably a GLC Coupe (can I mention other makes on here :o ?)

Would prefer a Diesel Macan or possibly a Petrol 2.0 version. Live not far from Manchester.

Any input on the above Porsche options above would be gratefully received., either on the vehicles themselves or on buying hints/tips.

Or anybody who wants to sell one direct for efficiently, obviously.

Thanks
I've just been in the same position myself and bought the Macan SD last week. I could have got a newer GLC for the same money but they are slower in 250D spec and doesn't handle as well as the Macan. I bought a lowish, 40k mile version with full main dealer history from a reputable dealer. Really chuffed with my choice.
2015 Macan SD
2010 997.2 4S

Gone: 1998 996 3.4 Cab, 1999 986 Boxster 2.7
SP6IGHT

Post by SP6IGHT »

Hi. I currently have a Carrara white 2017 SD. Owned from new. 50000 miles. Pretty well spec'd. £10k options added.

I have ordered a GTS build in October so will be selling in the near future.

PM me for more details if it interests you.

Cheers A.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

MACAN.

Model variant to suit your lifestyle.

Gen 1 Macan’s had limited standard fittings ie no mobile phone, no rear seat heating, no sat nav, a very basic PCM, so I now call these Gen 1A.

Gen 1B had rear seat seat heating, mobile phone prep, and an updated PCM included as standard. Apple Car Play included with Connect but the onboard Jukebox reduced from 30Gb to 10Gb and the standard audio system changed. Base, S, SD, GTS, Turbo & Turbo PP being the lineup with both the Turbo PP and GTS being introduced in 2016. LED lighting introduced in mid 2016, prior lighting was either Halogen (completely useless) or Bi Xenon.

Gen 2 had updated PCM, switchgear and rear lightbar plus different engines and cosmetics.

Gen 3 has a limited model choice, minor cosmetic changes and more powerful engines with the T included in the lineup.

Suggested inclusions to look out for in a pre-owned Macan or to consider adding to your spec if the variant does not include them as standard:-

PASM, vastly improves ride comfort and handling. Without PASM ride will be hard and unforgiving. Air suspension is an option but one best subjected to a very long test drive in an air equipped Macan to verify that motion sickness is not induced.

14 or 18 way seats, standard 8 way can be very unsupportive and uncomfortable. 14 way are the most comfortable but 18 way have a very snug fit for small and medium build people, large framed people will tend to sit on the 18 way instead of in them. 18 way has the extra 4 ways which are purely adjustment of the side bolsters.

Wheels, to suit but do consider the ease of cleaning. Wheels have changed since the Macan was released with Classics and Spyders being initially the most popular and then the Turbo design took over top spot.

Spare wheel, should be a no brainer to include in the options, having a spare wheel and buying a separate repair kit gives options in the event of a flat. Consider how you will manage if there is no mobile signal or if the flat occurs after garage closing time if you do not have any means to change or repair the flat.

Surround Cam, vastly more useful that RevCam, gives selectable views around whole of the car. Checkout rear quarter vision when you sit in a Macan, you will find it limited.
ACC (auto cruise), works effectively and includes an auto braking system (PAS) if active but not engaged. The Standard Cruise Control is fixed speed only.

PS+, gives power assisted steering only at parking speeds, as the car increases in speed the assistance reduces to zero.

Heated steering wheel, my personal favourite. If you have cold hands or circulation problems as I do then this optional extra I have found to be used much more than heated seats.

Upgraded audio, moot point and dependent upon your preferences. Bose is expensive for what it is but I personally like the tone and vibrancy of the system. Early Gen 1A Macan’s had a Bose version which differed from Gen 1B (Q3 2016) and the early standard system also changed. The inbuilt hard drive started as 30Gb but this was reduced to 10Gb mid 2016.

Storage Pack, useful if only to provide the pockets on the rear of the front seats to disguise the acres of plastic.

Sports Chrono, not strictly necessary but does improve the engine and gearbox response as well as providing an additional suspension setting. On newer Macan’s the control is near the steering wheel and activation gives a limited timed boost in engine performance.

75 litre fuel tank, extra range of the larger tank can be useful.

Pano roof, lightens a dark interior. Subjective as to its usefulness and an OPC will probably advise that it improves desirability when it is trade in time. Blocked drains are a weak point in that if blocked water can seep into the interior.

Headlights, Halogen (avoid any Macan with these or carry two powerful torches), Xenon, then LEDs has been fitted to the car with PDLS or PDLS+. LED’s are the ones to include in your must haves if you drive out of town at night for a significant proportion of the time.

Pano roof, often quoted by an SE as a very desirable inclusion, plus point is that it does lighten a quite dark interior. Points to watch is that they need the seals lubrication but the drains can clog and periodically need cleaning through, look for stains on the headling. A useful bit of self maintenance is to cycle the Pano fully closed > fully open > full tilt > full closed once a month and to open and close the internal mesh Pano screen.

Early Macan’s had issues with transfer boxes, discs can wear at a higher rate than expected, oil leak. If buying used check service history and that it is up to date with service bulletins. Don’t forget to check tyre tread depth, a set of N rated tyres can be expensive. Fuel consumption as shown on the MFD in front of drivers seat can display 10% above actual.

Test drive for an extended session your chosen variant, which should have the same suspension, wheel size, seating and power steering as you intend to specify.

BTW the 2.0 litre is gutless, but if all you want is a Town Car and sedate longer trips it is fine.

Avoid the SD if it is for town use
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Cordshoes

Post by Cordshoes »

Thanks for the response and different types of advice.
As somebody who has had Merc C class coups for last 2 cars for 8 years it is a challenge to come out of your "comfort zone" and buy a Porsche Macan.

One car I am looking at is a 2016 16 plate Porsche Macan 3.0 D S PDK 5d with 258 BHP. 80k mileage.
Wrt, the acronyms above a car Iam looking at mentions having PTM and MSR and Silver anodised brake calipers, as well a loads of other spec.

I have 2 other points that may be relevant:
First is that the slow depreciations of the Macan is am important factor for mewhen buying a car for £25k. Good.
Second is re security. Are these vehicles a target for professional car thieves. I know Range Rovers account for about 45% of thefts in my area of the country, but SUV Porsches??
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Only ever heard of ONE being stolen in 4+ years on this forum. Porsche owners donthry parts from scrap yards so little demand for stealing cars to break up..
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Cordshoes

Post by Cordshoes »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:25 pm Only ever heard of ONE being stolen in 4+ years on this forum. Porsche owners donthry parts from scrap yards so little demand for stealing cars to break up..
Thanks Neil
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:39 pm ....MACAN....
I'm impressed Col - If I could find a round of applause emoji I'd use it. Hopefully you copy and pasted that and didn't type it? That would take me a week!!

Nice one
M30LEV

Post by M30LEV »

I will be selling my late 2017MY Macan SD next month I have added some pictures on my recent post "Finally orderer placed (Macan S) " But many more to follow when I post on the forum for sale. The current milage is 39,500 but have a final road trip at the end of August so will probably have just over 40k when for sale. It will be sold with 12months MOT and Full OPC service. I am the second owner from new. PM me if you require any further information.

Thanks.
Cordshoes

Post by Cordshoes »

M30LEV wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:42 pm I will be selling my late 2017MY Macan SD next month I have added some pictures on my recent post "Finally orderer placed (Macan S) " But many more to follow when I post on the forum for sale. The current milage is 39,500 but have a final road trip at the end of August so will probably have just over 40k when for sale. It will be sold with 12months MOT and Full OPC service. I am the second owner from new. PM me if you require any further information.

Thanks.
Thanks.
Where are you based?
Not sure I'm allowed to PM people yet as a newbie.