2023 GTS and google maps

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

SAC1 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:51 pm Even VW Brands Are Giving Up On VW's Awful Infotainment Software
Volkswagen is cutting 2,000 jobs at Cariad, its in-house software developer, while Porsche turns to Google.

https://jalopnik.com/porsche-giving-up- ... 1850976771
That’s very bad news! Google will be sucking all the data they possibly can out of cars with their systems installed. Be prepared to be bombarded with user and location based ads, but that’s only the stuff we will know about!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

FirstSeaLord wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:06 am I've always wanted to use the Porsche navigation system but need the speed camera alerts and location markings on screen. Don't think that's practically possible on the Porsche system without doing complicated (for me) downloads every so often. So Waze has become my default.

However I'm an amateur at these things so may well not understand what's actually feasible
One should really not be driving if you have to rely on the speed camera and lane assist etc aids
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Its good to know which gantries have speed cameras especially on an empty motorway as some of the newer cameras will still fire at 80 even if no speed limit is displayed ;)
Macan S MY 2023
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Bore off, the speed camera location feature is incredible and only adds value to your driving experience. There is no downside.

OEM systems need to catch up with this data.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
GTB

Post by GTB »

Never had an issue with the Porsche In built sat nav system. Works pretty much in real time and when congestion occurs, does give early notice and alternative routes. My only grumble is it just changes route automatically. Be good if it was like the system on my old Mercedes that listed the alternative routes, time to be saved or extra mileage and you then had a choice to stay on original route or deviate. Sometimes the change in route only gives me a 1Min saving. Often just to come off and then back on at a junction on a motorway.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
pmg

Post by pmg »

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2023/co ... 34205.html

As seen from the above press release, Porsche moving towards more Google less own/VW software
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Plyphon wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:11 am Bore off, the speed camera location feature is incredible and only adds value to your driving experience. There is no downside.

OEM systems need to catch up with this data.
+1 to that
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

pmg wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:00 am https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2023/co ... 34205.html

As seen from the above press release, Porsche moving towards more Google less own/VW software
Yes, confirming SAC1's post of yesterday.....sadly!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

On a recent middle of the night trip up the M6 the Porsche Sat Nav did not recognise that there was a diversion in place due to night roadworks. Waze on the other hand knew exactly what was going on whilst the in-built nav kept asking me to do a u-turn. I know there are advocates of both, but I still find Waze to be the most dynamic system in place hence I always have it switched on.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Apple Maps is pretty good now too.

I like the way Apple Maps will say things like 'go past these lights and then at the set after turn right'. Really clear with lots of notice.
Macan S MY 2023