Break Pads

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

PJV997 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:54 am ....I don’t brake for corners...
Seriously? :shock:

andreas

Post by andreas »

I had the front pads and discs replaced on my S less than a year ago at an indie. The parts price for the pads and sensors was about £190. I'd guess about another £100 for labour for pads alone, so you ought to be able to get it done for not much more than £300-£400.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

had the same observation at 20k, "pads and discs need changing as won't go untill next service", now on 65k miles had 2 sets of pads and still on origional disc, think will change both at 80k, shop around even online to buy your own pads
Tonyedmunds

Post by Tonyedmunds »

It’s not just Porsche service that tries it on with brakes, our SLK had only 4mm pad thickness at service and needed changing ( they said) I insisted they leave them alone ,next service they had magically increased to 5 mm
I believe they take a reading from the wear sensors in the diagnostic
As an aside I’ve only replaced pads and discs together on my last five cars , I thought modern pads are so hard the discs wear with them at roughly the same rate. Are Porsche pads softer?
HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

I wonder how many times the OPC's get away with this robbery and punters just say "Oh OK then". Whoever it is, they either have a lot more money than me or a lot less care about wasting it.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Tonyedmunds wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:45 am It’s not just Porsche service that tries it on with brakes, our SLK had only 4mm pad thickness at service and needed changing ( they said) I insisted they leave them alone ,next service they had magically increased to 5 mm
I believe they take a reading from the wear sensors in the diagnostic
As an aside I’ve only replaced pads and discs together on my last five cars , I thought modern pads are so hard the discs wear with them at roughly the same rate. Are Porsche pads softer?
It’s not so much that pads nowadays are harder, it’s mainly because asbestos was removed from the mix years ago and the substitute materials are more abrasive and so wear the disks faster than in the past. Hence both pads and discs are regarded as ‘sacrificial’ items in terms of normal wear and tear. Also, the brakes are manufactured by Brembo, not Porsche, and they recommend pads and discs are replaced together. However, any self respecting mechanic would be capable of making the judgement that pads only may be replaced if the discs are ok. Brembo discs are stamped with their original thickness and minimum recommended thickness.

And yes, different drivers can have hugely varying brake wear rates depending on driving style but also the environment the car normally experiences.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
crockers

Post by crockers »

Most cars I’ve had were usually around 2 pad changes to 1 disc. But time may have changed.
CamGTS

Post by CamGTS »

easy DIY job - I've posted on here how to do. It's a myth that it needs to be plugged into a computer. Any competent indy should be able to. OEM discs and pads are available from ECP. You will need to replace the caliper bolts as they are single use stretch items
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Kevvyb1 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:10 pm Hi Guys,

I own a 2020/2021 Macan GTS and it’s coming up to 3 years with 22k miles on the clock! Porsche Reading have said I need to have my break pads checked and possibly replaced! To do so they want £2400! Is that right? They’re just the basic spec ones and It sounds extortionate!

I also have a crack in my rear right break light in which they want to charge £1400 to have it replaced!

Again is that right or should I look at going somewhere else like Northway?

Thank you in advance!
If your post is as they said, then the price for just brake pads is scandelous, and a real rip off. The price including disks is more realistic, but still very much overpriced. Definitely look elsewhere, either an indi' or check out another OPC.
Handy156

Post by Handy156 »

Kevvyb1 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:10 pm Hi Guys,

I own a 2020/2021 Macan GTS and it’s coming up to 3 years with 22k miles on the clock! Porsche Reading have said I need to have my break pads checked and possibly replaced! To do so they want £2400! Is that right? They’re just the basic spec ones and It sounds extortionate!

I also have a crack in my rear right break light in which they want to charge £1400 to have it replaced!

Again is that right or should I look at going somewhere else like Northway?

Thank you in advance!
Just changed the rears myself.

£150 for pads and sensors.

£300 for the ODB2 reader to reset the parking break.

Completed in 1 hr (took my time)

:D