2018 Macan s - High cooland temp under acceleration

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
timthetinyhorse

Post by timthetinyhorse »

Neil1911 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:45 pm
timthetinyhorse wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:59 pm Seems really odd and Porsche dealer is saying they have never heard of this occuring before. Its getting booked into the local Porsche Centre...
Just out of interest as you've not put your location on your profile (v few do!) Which is your local OPC and which one did you buy from? It's useful to know where its possible to get an issue looked at in a reasonable timeframe!
Sorry, Vehicle was purchased from Cardiff and the local OPC who looked at the vehicle was Newcastle. THey could have looked at it sooner actually but we had to slide it 8 days as booked a last min holiday.

Location now added also :D

Thanks

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

It sounds more like a software or sensor glitch to me.

A few seconds of hardish acceleration and unloading the engine by lift off would not likely see such a rapid rise in temperature.

If there is belt slippage you should hear a squealing sound, and by not stating you have it limits the likely issues.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
timthetinyhorse

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:05 pm It sounds more like a software or sensor glitch to me.

A few seconds of hardish acceleration and unloading the engine by lift off would not likely see such a rapid rise in temperature.

If there is belt slippage you should hear a squealing sound, and by not stating you have it limits the likely issues.
Yes your right no belt noise either amd agree on the spike highly unlikely. I have not been able to re-create the issue so fingers crossed were all good now.
alex025

Post by alex025 »

Oof, temperature spikes are never fun to deal with in these complex modern cars. What a headache! As a fellow Macan owner, I feel your pain trying to track down this weird overheating gremlin.

Honestly, my first guess would also be some sort of AC-related issue causing the temp jump under acceleration. Maybe the auxiliary coolant pump or a fan acting up when the AC kicks on. Could even be a clogged condenser or AC line restricting airflow when the engine is under load.

I know the dealer said they haven't seen this before, but it really seems isolated to increased demand from the AC system. Hopefully they can dive in and pinpoint the culprit. If you find a smoking gun, post it here for the rest of us! Always good to know common problems to watch for.

For now, I'd just keep monitoring those temps closely and try not to mash the throttle too hard with the AC blasting. Easier said than done though, I know! Let me know if you get this sorted out - really curious what's causing the weird overheating. Good luck!
timthetinyhorse

alex025 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:28 pm Oof, temperature spikes are never fun to deal with in these complex modern cars. What a headache! As a fellow Macan owner, I feel your pain trying to track down this weird overheating gremlin.

Honestly, my first guess would also be some sort of AC-related issue causing the temp jump under acceleration. Maybe the auxiliary coolant pump or a fan acting up when the AC kicks on. Could even be a clogged condenser or AC line restricting airflow when the engine is under load.

I know the dealer said they haven't seen this before, but it really seems isolated to increased demand from the AC system. Hopefully they can dive in and pinpoint the culprit. If you find a smoking gun, post it here for the rest of us! Always good to know common problems to watch for.

For now, I'd just keep monitoring those temps closely and try not to mash the throttle too hard with the AC blasting. Easier said than done though, I know! Let me know if you get this sorted out - really curious what's causing the weird overheating. Good luck!
We have never seen the fault come back so hoping that there was a software glitch or airlock after coolant change possibly, either way im beginning to feel more comfortable with the vehicle and the OPC were able to reset and calibrate the grill vent flaps as they had stored an error also.....here's hoping that's us done with the issue.....back to the OPC for the transfer casing to be investigated next :mrgreen:
alex025

Post by alex025 »

interesting.
timthetinyhorse

So its been a while since I updates this thread........a few days before the car was booked in to have the transfer case investigates the random temp issue returned. Sat at 65mph cruise control on on a moderate inline on dual caridgeway the coolant temp started to creap and about 10 seconds later the warning was back and temps over 120. dropped speed to take load off engine and dropped back to 90 within again about 10 seconds.

Dropped the car off at OPC Newcastle for the transfer case investigation and also asked them to re-visit this issue again. We recieved a call later that dat saying yes they would be replacing the transfer casing and also would look to exchnage the coolant temp regulator and housing as they suspected an issue. Fast forward another two weeks and the car was with the OPC for 4 days. Transfer case replaced and then coolant temp regulator and housing. The job was delayed as they were missing a high pressure coolant line that apparently also needed to be replaced.

So were now about 1 month since replacement of the regulator and so far so good, given it some hard thrashings and also so similar driving to when we ave seen the fault and temps are all good.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Thanks for posting the update.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

On-Track wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:15 am Thanks for posting the update.
Well said. This is why I joined this forum, really NOT to discus/debate engineless cars, even though I like the look of them but can't get a tax breaks to buy them and couldn't trust one to get me where I want to go despite the stupid, virtue signalling price!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:42 pm
On-Track wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:15 am Thanks for posting the update.
Well said. This is why I joined this forum, really NOT to discus/debate engineless cars, even though I like the look of them but can't get a tax breaks to buy them and couldn't trust one to get me where I want to go despite the stupid, virtue signalling price!
Priceless Neil, I love it - not wanting to discuss engineless cars and then going on to do just that! 😂😂
…and that’s why I love this forum, just for the laughs 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0