Recommend a PDR man to me (dent remover)

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Jon A wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:33 pm
Neil1911 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:20 pm
Jon A wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:58 pm
I had Gtechniq ceramic (platinum) and PPF on my Macan. The 911 will not be getting either and will be treated to elbow grease and occasional wax.
Neither ceramic or particularly PPF are worth the expense imho.
Every PPFer I spoke to asked how long I planned to keep the car, it isn't worth it for flippers like you :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well that’s true! I don’t happen to think it’s worth it if you keep it forever but other opinions are available 👍
Yes, personal choice, but I think the owners of the Bentayga and Taycan that my detailer told me about who had their cars keyed but which were unmarked under the PPF were pleased with their decision.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:55 am
Neil1911 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:20 pm
Every PPFer I spoke to asked how long I planned to keep the car, it isn't worth it for flippers like you :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well that’s true! I don’t happen to think it’s worth it if you keep it forever but other opinions are available 👍
Yes, personal choice, but I think the owners of the Bentayga and Taycan that my detailer told me about who had their cars keyed but which were unmarked under the PPF were pleased with their decision.
Indeed but a Bentley isn’t a Macan. I found that you either end up with damaged paint or damaged PPF and both look crap. On my Macan at least, it was cheaper and easier to touch up or repaint than replace PPF.
I accept that may not be the case for a Bentley or Taycan and that some will find comfort in having it, hence my comment that other opinions available.
Also, would probably put more weight to your story if it came from the owner who experienced it rather than from a detailer who would presumably apply the PPF… 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Jon A wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:36 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:55 am
Indeed but a Bentley isn’t a Macan. I found that you either end up with damaged paint or damaged PPF and both look crap. On my Macan at least, it was cheaper and easier to touch up or repaint than replace PPF.
I accept that may not be the case for a Bentley or Taycan and that some will find comfort in having it, hence my comment that other opinions available.
Also, would probably put more weight to your story if it came from the owner who experienced it rather than from a detailer who would presumably apply the PPF… 😂

+1 on all counts, Jon. Not exactly unbiased of the PPF applier to boast about what a brilliant product it is, quoting high-end examples of where their customers are glad they did it. ;)

I too have declined to pay for ceramic coating and/or PPF. The cost and potential future issues do not justify the investment, in my opinion.

Still seems a bit weird to me to buy a car (designed to be used and live outdoors) and then spend thousands of pounds covering it in a thin plastic coating... But each to their own. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

...but Simon, they're made for the motorway, interstate and towns, not for the bush and back lanes I take them on!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:12 am ...but Simon, they're made for the motorway, interstate and towns, not for the bush and back lanes I take them on!

:lol: Quite a few stone chips can be picked up on the faster roads though! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

What's the difference between spending a couple of thousand on PPF versus buying new wheels. Both are to maintain/enahnce the overall look of the vehicle.
Macan S MY 2023
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Skyway wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:35 pm What's the difference between spending a couple of thousand on PPF versus buying new wheels. Both are to maintain/enahnce the overall look of the vehicle.
I’m not sure PPF will enhance the look? Certainly new wheels could and in Simon’s case, they will give a performance upgrade too.
I think PPF can be extremely useful when it’s used in very specific vulnerable areas such as rear wheel arch, boot lip or even front bumper etc. in these cases it can be easily replaced if necessary for not a lot of cost and yet protects the most likely areas of damage.
Where it becomes questionable for me is when entire front ends are done (or more) as I did, but replacing an entire bonnet PPF for example, is cost prohibitive?
Again, if it gives peace of mind then it’s personal choice 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I've not experienced the issue you had. Have had a couple of small stone hits on the bonnet close to the windscreen and both of these didn't penetrate the paint and almost completely disappeared when I heated the PPF with a hair drier. For me, so far, it works great. I have XPEL Plus, not sure if others are not so good.

Again for me personally, I'd much prefer to have some PPF replaced than parts of my car resprayed where I could have avoided it.

My car is white, but I think PPF would definitely enhance the look and ease the maintenance on a dark colour. There is no swirling and even if there is then it self heals when it heats up and they disappear.
Macan S MY 2023
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

rhinoman wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:28 pm A few general comments from now owning two black Porsche...

Swirls are from washing...wash technique is everything. Jetwash and then snowfoam, jetwash off the snowfoam to lossen and soften the dirt. Two bucket wash, (I use three a separate one for the wheels). Jetwash off the suds and then final rinse with DI water and leave to dry. Maybe dab dry here and there or a blow dryer. Every other wash a quick detailer or similar to liven it up.

I've used a few different ceramic coatings. On wheels it's a no-brainer. Makes wheel cleaning so easy just soap and water for my weekly wash, and a once a year de-ionise. I've use a few over the years, Gtechniq C4 is good, Kamikaze Stance is better.
For paintwork, as others have said, it still doesn't prevent scratches. I generally pick up a few from narrow roads and bushes, seems to be unavoidable with the width of cars these days.

Some ceramic coatings are much easier and more forgiving to apply than others, the Gtechniq ones are on the harder side due to the quick flash-off times. My current favourite is Myabi coat from Kamikaze as it has a much longer removal time window. As soon as you use a topper/quick detailer over the ceramic, that becomes the beading water effect you get so what is the ceramic actually doing then...

I tend to use Kamikaze Overcoat on its own these days which is classed as a topper but lasts a few months easily, by which time it's not a big deal to reapply.
Hi Rhinoman...thanks for your post.

I've noticed that Kamikaze products get great reviews. I've found WaxWorx who are Kamikaze and Titan accredited detailers and aren't too far from me.

Anyone used WaxWorx? There are a couple of Macans on their Instagram.

My car definitely needs a good machine polish. So by the time I've paid for that I might as well get it coated aswell.

Definitely getting the wheels and calipers done.

I like the sound of Kamikaze Overcoat
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
rhinoman

Post by rhinoman »

Kamikaze seems to be a little more expensive than some of the others but they do seem to work better/easier than the competition. So far I've used previously mentioned Myabi for paintwork, Overcoat as a topper and on its own, Intenso for windows and recently Stance for the Macan wheels. All the easiest to apply and use of that type of product compared to the competition

Apologies to the OP for the slight highjack
2015 Macan SD
2010 997.2 4S

Gone: 1998 996 3.4 Cab, 1999 986 Boxster 2.7