Recommend a PDR man to me (dent remover)

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I think if it’s Black you’ll need it. I loved the look of my Black Merc when it was clean, but even with 2 stage washing and microfibre everything the swirls were hard to keep away.
Macan S MY 2023

AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Skyway wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:29 pm I think if it’s Black you’ll need it. I loved the look of my Black Merc when it was clean, but even with 2 stage washing and microfibre everything the swirls were hard to keep away.
Yes I think you'll be right...I'm just trying to be hopeful!

I'm currently trying to choose the right ceramic coat...I know none completely resist scratches or even swirls 100% but Titan seem to have properties which help resist swirls more than others...could be a load of bull though...unless someone can tell me, from experience of the products, otherwise
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

AndyC160 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:54 pm
Skyway wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:29 pm I think if it’s Black you’ll need it. I loved the look of my Black Merc when it was clean, but even with 2 stage washing and microfibre everything the swirls were hard to keep away.

I'm currently trying to choose the right ceramic coat...I know none completely resist scratches or even swirls 100% but Titan seem to have properties which help resist swirls more than others...could be a load of bull though...unless someone can tell me, from experience of the products, otherwise
I had Gtechniq ceramic (platinum) and PPF on my Macan. The 911 will not be getting either and will be treated to elbow grease and occasional wax.
Neither ceramic or particularly PPF are worth the expense imho.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

AndyC160 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:54 pm I'm currently trying to choose the right ceramic coat...I know none completely resist scratches or even swirls 100% but Titan seem to have properties which help resist swirls more than others...could be a load of bull though...unless someone can tell me, from experience of the products, otherwise
It’s not bull but correct prep & application of the product is essential to get these properties.
I applied gtechniq ceramic on my last Macan (£600ish via OPC) after a few months I was not convinced that I got value for money however after 3 years I gave the car to a local detailer for a thorough clean, he said he’d never seen paintwork in such good condition on a 3 year old vehicle. Was the the coating? Was it careful (& infrequent) washing? Probably a bit of both. When I got the GTS last year I also applied ceramic to it, not a single swirl to my eye yet. Is it worth the outlay to avoid a few swirls…… that’s an individual choice.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Alfanut wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:24 am
AndyC160 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:54 pm I'm currently trying to choose the right ceramic coat...I know none completely resist scratches or even swirls 100% but Titan seem to have properties which help resist swirls more than others...could be a load of bull though...unless someone can tell me, from experience of the products, otherwise
It’s not bull but correct prep & application of the product is essential to get these properties.
I applied gtechniq ceramic on my last Macan (£600ish via OPC) after a few months I was not convinced that I got value for money however after 3 years I gave the car to a local detailer for a thorough clean, he said he’d never seen paintwork in such good condition on a 3 year old vehicle. Was the the coating? Was it careful (& infrequent) washing? Probably a bit of both. When I got the GTS last year I also applied ceramic to it, not a single swirl to my eye yet. Is it worth the outlay to avoid a few swirls…… that’s an individual choice.
Hi Alfanut

What coating have you put on the GTS?
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

For the GTS I opted to use a local detailer, the product he used was called Anglewax Enigma Genesis.
https://angelwax.com/angelwax-ceramic-g ... -coatings/
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Jon A wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:58 pm

I had Gtechniq ceramic (platinum) and PPF on my Macan. The 911 will not be getting either and will be treated to elbow grease and occasional wax.
Every PPFer I spoke to asked how long I planned to keep the car, it isn't worth it for flippers like you :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Neil1911 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:20 pm
Jon A wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:58 pm

Every PPFer I spoke to asked how long I planned to keep the car, it isn't worth it for flippers like you :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well that’s true! I don’t happen to think it’s worth it if you keep it forever but other opinions are available 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I’m very happy with my front end PPF and it’s definitely saved some stone chips and provides a level of comfort. Nothing looks worse than peppered road rash and I’d rather keep the factory paintwork ;)

It is expensive but let’s face it, it’s going on a Porsche!!
Macan S MY 2023
rhinoman

Post by rhinoman »

A few general comments from now owning two black Porsche...

Swirls are from washing...wash technique is everything. Jetwash and then snowfoam, jetwash off the snowfoam to lossen and soften the dirt. Two bucket wash, (I use three a separate one for the wheels). Jetwash off the suds and then final rinse with DI water and leave to dry. Maybe dab dry here and there or a blow dryer. Every other wash a quick detailer or similar to liven it up.

I've used a few different ceramic coatings. On wheels it's a no-brainer. Makes wheel cleaning so easy just soap and water for my weekly wash, and a once a year de-ionise. I've use a few over the years, Gtechniq C4 is good, Kamikaze Stance is better.
For paintwork, as others have said, it still doesn't prevent scratches. I generally pick up a few from narrow roads and bushes, seems to be unavoidable with the width of cars these days.

Some ceramic coatings are much easier and more forgiving to apply than others, the Gtechniq ones are on the harder side due to the quick flash-off times. My current favourite is Myabi coat from Kamikaze as it has a much longer removal time window. As soon as you use a topper/quick detailer over the ceramic, that becomes the beading water effect you get so what is the ceramic actually doing then...

I tend to use Kamikaze Overcoat on its own these days which is classed as a topper but lasts a few months easily, by which time it's not a big deal to reapply.
2015 Macan SD
2010 997.2 4S

Gone: 1998 996 3.4 Cab, 1999 986 Boxster 2.7