Clutch judder when reversing

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

Anyone experiencing transmission/clutch judder when reversing out of my driveway when cold.
I have a GTS with 4000 mls, and am a little concerned with this anomaly, is this normal or could it be from a lot of previous fast starts.
The car was a Porsche demo for the first 3000 mls.
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange

TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

It wouldn't be clutch judder, not in the normal sense. As they are PDK (Auto). However they do have bands, similar to clutch operation, inside the gearbox, to enable them to change gear. Definintely needs some investigation by the OPC, as it sounds not very normal at all.
If however you're on full lock when it happens, it could be the cold tyres causing a scrubbing motion, instead of a true rolling one.
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

TheTraveller wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:51 pm It wouldn't be clutch judder, not in the normal sense. As they are PDK (Auto). However they do have bands, similar to clutch operation, inside the gearbox, to enable them to change gear.
I think you'll find that the PDK doesn't have bands like a conventional torque-convertor automatic gearbox has.
PDK by name and construction is a dual clutch automated gearbox, and is effectively two manual gearboxes, and two electromechanical clutches linked together.

So, yes it could be clutch judder as reverse will be working on one of the clutches, although be default, it should also be a problem on the other gears on that side of the gearbox? Could also be the transfer 'box as well or some other part of the transmission, so definitely needs OPC investigation.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

fabmacan wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:45 pm Anyone experiencing transmission/clutch judder when reversing out of my driveway when cold.
I have a GTS with 4000 mls, and am a little concerned with this anomaly, is this normal or could it be from a lot of previous fast starts.
The car was a Porsche demo for the first 3000 mls.
Could be the Akerman affect. Goggle it for a full description.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

yep, there are dual clutch packs within the PDK gearbox, looks like this is not normal at all, but it is a worry with only 4000 mls on the clock.
the car is reversing out of the driveway on a slight upwards incline, the front wheels are dead straight.
Can the number of launch controls be sourced within the cars "memory", be interested to know if it has been abused.
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
Woodhouse

Post by Woodhouse »

fabmacan wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:45 pm Anyone experiencing transmission/clutch judder when reversing out of my driveway when cold.
Nope. Usually get off your driveway sharpish and never cold, quite the opposite.
Macan S - MY23 - PRG1YBJ5 - (his)

F60 Mini Countryman Cooper S (hers)
GWL

Post by GWL »

I have a 2020 GTS. I have to reverse up my short driveway (slopes up to the road) and I've noticed that, from a cold start, I have to be a bit heavy on the accelerator or the car feels like it's going to stall. I'm not aware I had this issue with my 2015 Turbo.

I had to reverse my wife's BMW 1 series automatic up & off the drive today - that was a noticeably smoother experience. :roll:
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
kogs

Post by kogs »

Hi. I have a 2022 Macan S bought from new. I have also had this jerk/judder from new. Initially I thought it was just something to live with but the car has already been to the dealership many times for unrelated issues, and I am beginning to think there could be a problem. I found this recently-

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/ ... 1-0001.pdf

Not sure if it is relevant or has been looked at.

It is going back shortly to have it looked at again Hope it gets fixed!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

My wife has found similar in her Macan - our driveway has a slope up to the road. I had the same on my previous Audi A6 Allroad with the 7-sp S-Tronic (twin-clutch Getrag gearbox - I imagine the same as the Macan’s PDK based on them being built on a similar platform).

It’s a characteristic of this box, I’d say. We just reverse onto the drive and pull out forwards. However, we did have a Yeti with 7-so DSG - which isn’t the same box, since it has a dry rather than wet clutch - and that would reverse up the drive absolutely fine.
2023 Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PPMPKF77
Due 2025: Cayenne S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PRBH59L6
2023 Audi S6 Avant
Suzuki Jimny
Mini Cooper
happy days

Post by happy days »

Reversing is the worst feature of the Macan for me. On a gradient, some liberal welly application is required.
Macan S D
718 S