Good
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Moriarty wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:26 pm

Wasn’t there a huge UK-based battery production plant that failed to get off the ground a while back? Maybe when that failed there wasn’t anything else on the horizon and Sunak felt the 2030 target no longer had any benefit to industry and Britain would simply have faced the embarrassment of trying to roll out technology from elsewhere that wouldn’t have been ready. Essentially the companies producing this technology might have just ignored the UK deadline because they would all be planning for the big US/EU deadline of 2035.

Screenshot_20230920_212135_Google.jpg

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
EngineerMK

Post by EngineerMK »

this is the right decision for the UK at this moment in time IMO
EngineerMK

Post by EngineerMK »

Skyway wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:04 pm
ScotMac wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:58 pm First sensible decision for a while.
+1
+1 more
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

Labour said they will reinstate the 2030 deadline, though, and it seems extremely likely that they will be the ones in power.

Part of me wants it to happen. I love a good national crisis.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Moriarty wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:40 pm Labour said they will reinstate the 2030 deadline, though, and it seems extremely likely that they will be the ones in power.

Part of me wants it to happen. I love a good national crisis.
Won’t happen ;)
Macan S MY 2023
Nig0151

Post by Nig0151 »

Banning the sale of ICE cars from 2030 only played into the hands of these greedy car manufactures who recently have been churning out new shiny BEV models at outrageous prices! . What is wrong in facilitating change rather than the government imposing onerous legislation on the masses and exposing us all to exploitation!. If the car manufactures are upset tough! consumers are not going to be bullied into paying these ridiculous prices in the name 'net zero' green agenda... etc etc. I have driven a few BEV's and they are good products, all we need is sensible pricing and open competition to facilitate our transition to a 'green future' . Are manufactures prepared to play a part or are they only interested in the bottom line.. lets see how they respond! Tesla seem to be doing a good job.... slashing prices and providing the necessary charging infrastructure.
EngineerMK

Post by EngineerMK »

Nig0151 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:52 am Banning the sale of ICE cars from 2030 only played into the hands of these greedy car manufactures who recently have been churning out new shiny BEV models at outrageous prices! . What is wrong in facilitating change rather than the government imposing onerous legislation on the masses and exposing us all to exploitation!. If the car manufactures are upset tough! consumers are not going to be bullied into paying these ridiculous prices in the name 'net zero' green agenda... etc etc. I have driven a few BEV's and they are good products, all we need is sensible pricing and open competition to facilitate our transition to a 'green future' . Are manufactures prepared to play a part or are they only interested in the bottom line.. lets see how they respond! Tesla seem to be doing a good job.... slashing prices and providing the necessary charging infrastructure.
Tesla have only been profitable for the last couple of years, and significant profits come from selling regulatory credits to other car companies in some US states where other manufactures need to offset their fossil fuelled vehicles.

it’s difficult to make cheap cars of any type, it’s more difficult to make cheap cars with emerging technologies. you need economy of scale to get low costs. it’s one of the reasons new technology always comes on expensive cars first and then filters down; anti-lock brakes are a good example of this

Some technologies get priory when legislation forces change; carburettors were quickly replaced by fuel injection when exhaust emission regs made catalysts essential to meet the targets. car prices rose to cover the cost of the fuel injection systems and catalysts and the testing needed to prove they worked.

the costs associated with BEV are proportionally much more than introducing catalysts were
Miz1986

Post by Miz1986 »

Tracky wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:29 pmGood
+1
Sold Jan 2023 - Gen 3 Macan GTS
Sold Sept 2023 - 911 992 C4S
Current - 992 911 Targa 4 GTS aka Nos
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

Labour response is based on the fact that “Electric cars will be cheaper by 2030” if the 2030 ban remains in place. As a result Tories are going to pile more cost onto UK citizens by delaying

Unfortunately, many people believe these sound bites.

I think it is a sensible move. Going forward, keeping in line with future EU policy, however that evolves, makes more sense to me.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo