CarPlay and software update

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Ridah1

Post by Ridah1 »

Hi All

2017SD looking to activate CarPlay and therefore will update the software from current 2016/17 version I have been told.

Can one expect issues once the software is update?

I have heard of Bose issues, stop start kicking in even in sport mode etc

Also, when one resets the unit to factory settings what exactly are the factory settings?

Thanks in advance!
2017 SD in white
21 inch Sport alloys

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

They worked on updating mine a couple of months ago as it was not updating.

No issues with my Bose, just SD card slots disappearing, ignition off and on cured it.

After activating Car Play are you aware that there is a Subscription to pay for some services?

Plus a data SIM may also be required
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:09 pm They worked on updating mine a couple of months ago as it was not updating.

No issues with my Bose, just SD card slots disappearing, ignition off and on cured it.

After activating Car Play are you aware that there is a Subscription to pay for some services?

I’m no expert, but isn’t Carplay effectively just “piggy-backing” off your mobile phone? Therefore I don’t believe there is any additional subscription but would like to know if that is an incorrect assumption.

I use Carplay almost as a default as I use it as the conduit for my music and also I like to use Waze rather than manufacturer SatNav.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

PJV997 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:05 am
Col Lamb wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:09 pm They worked on updating mine a couple of months ago as it was not updating.

I’m no expert, but isn’t Carplay effectively just “piggy-backing” off your mobile phone? Therefore I don’t believe there is any additional subscription but would like to know if that is an incorrect assumption.

I use Carplay almost as a default as I use it as the conduit for my music and also I like to use Waze rather than manufacturer SatNav.
Yes, that's correct. It uses your phone signal, data and battery, which can sometimes be a drawback, but the mapping is up to date.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

PJV997 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:05 am

Yes and No

To get some navigation and information services on the PCM a Subscription is required.

Look on the My Porsche site to see the detail, the image below shows what the subscription provides

I do not get Real Time Traffic on the PCM Sat Nav without the active subscription nor do I get map updates

There is always Waze if one wants to avoid paying a subscription, and in practice I have Waze on my Mobile and see RTT on the PCM screen.

On the older Gen 1 systems the connected Mobile can be used as either a Mobile or an iPod.

I understand that Gen 2 & Gen 3 systems operate slightly different and require a more expensive subscription

IMG_4895.jpeg

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Ridah1

Post by Ridah1 »

Thanks all

Does anyone have bad experience of CarPlay activation and software update on gen 2?
2017 SD in white
21 inch Sport alloys
RGS

Post by RGS »

I have a Gen 2 Turbo and have no difficulty with Car Play and Waze. The subscriptions are £105 for car connect which works your Porsche App and £159 for Navigation and Infotainment, these are annual prices, they come FOC on new cars for the first two years.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Ridah1 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:28 am Thanks all

Does anyone have bad experience of CarPlay activation and software update on gen 2?
Your SD is a Gen 1.

Gen 1 is really Gen 1A and Gen 1B, where in the B upgrade the PCM was changed and Apple Car Play introduced along with minor cosmetic upgrades and the inclusion of some Gen 1A options as Standard ie Rear Seat Heating, Mobile Phone Preparation, Sat Nav etc. became standard. The Gen 1B came mid 2016 if I remember correctly.
Col
Macan Turbo
Ridah1

Post by Ridah1 »

Thanks I stand corrected Col
2017 SD in white
21 inch Sport alloys
Ridah1

Post by Ridah1 »

Thanks all

Does anyone have bad experience of CarPlay activation and software update on gen 1??
2017 SD in white
21 inch Sport alloys