Withholding my deposit

All your ordering information here!
Smb

Post by Smb »

I ordered a Macan but I didn’t get approved for a loan so the deal fell through and they ended up selling the vehicle. I asked for my deposit back but they said they won’t give it back due to having to take my custom door-sill off. I was under the impression that my deposit was 100% refundable. Can they withhold my deposit from me? The deposit was $2500. Is it worth going to small claims court?

crockers

Post by crockers »

Is this the UK ? 🇬🇧 you mentioned $.

How much was the custom sill ? Strange they put it on before you’re approved for credit

Am assuming it’s a used car. Read the sales contract thoroughly. What does it say about deposits?

Who is the OPC ?

M
Smb

Post by Smb »

crockers wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:24 pm Is this the UK ? 🇬🇧 you mentioned $.

How much was the custom sill ? Strange they put it on before you’re approved for credit

Am assuming it’s a used car. Read the sales contract thoroughly. What does it say about deposits?

Who is the OPC ?

M
No it’s in the US. The custom sill was $2490. It was actually an order for a new car. And I didn’t even get a sales contract yet. Only thing I signed for was the acknowledgment of the configuration. OPC is west Houston
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

How did you pay?
What have you signed?
What paperwork did they give you?
Did you take anyone to the OPC each time you went (witness)?
Have you asked on https://www.macanforum.com/
Last edited by DJMCUK on Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Smb wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:37 pm
crockers wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:24 pm Is this the UK ? 🇬🇧 you mentioned $.

Who is the OPC ?

M
No it’s in the US. The custom sill was $2490. It was actually an order for a new car. And I didn’t even get a sales contract yet. Only thing I signed for was the acknowledgment of the configuration. OPC is west Houston
Take a look at the Porsche Macan Owners Group on Facebook. This is predominently a USA site and a good source of information for your query.

Good luck.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Smb

Post by Smb »

DJMCUK wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:55 pm How did you pay?
What have you signed?
What paperwork did they give you?
Did you take anyone to the OPC each time you went (witness)?
I paid with a credit card and the only thing I signed was the acknowledgment of the configuration. That’s also the only paperwork I got. And no I don’t have a witnesses
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

My understanding is that the deposit is fully refundable until you lock down your order and spec, about a month before the build. Based on what you posted, I am assuming the car loan was not with Porsche and it was a loan you were negotiating privately. In that case, surely you finalised your order, Porsche built and shipped your car accordingly, and you then failed to pay for the car. I would think they are entitled to keep your deposit and any refund would be at their discretion. If they incurred additional costs to sell the car it seems perfectly fair for the dealer to take that out of your deposit. It wouldn’t be unfair, even, for them to keep the deposit to cover the inconvenience and time for having to sell a car that they did not choose to have in stock.

But of course the legal answer lies in the terms of the documents you signed when you paid the deposit and when you finalised your order, which may have been online forms.
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Although Porsche USA may have no authority over the dealer they may be able to broker an agreeable settlement for both sides for good PR, even if one of you is in the wrong. Give them a call? Check your paperwork and online records first.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Love the way in the US the deposit is $2500 yet us suckers in the UK have to pay £3000
Macan S MY 2023
softsand

Post by softsand »

Skyway wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:30 pm Love the way in the US the deposit is $2500 yet us suckers in the UK have to pay £3000
In Australia the expectation is 10%. More if the spec is outside the norm.
2022 Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PN22I7J6 with 21” Sport Classic wheels in Satin Platinum