Spare wheel extras

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
M30LEV

Post by M30LEV »

Like most people waiting for their new macans you start looking for those little extras. I have ordered the spare wheel on my GTS but realise a lot of people don't cosider it due to the safety concerns of jacking up a 2 ton car by the road side only supported by a sill jack so i purchased the following helpfull tools, hopefully they won't get used. The only down side is the extra weight but if you have to change the wheel at any time and you want to change it yourself it should make the job a bit easier and safer.

1) Foldable 3ton axel stand you can purchase these as a single item it's very compact and fits in the boot under the floor.
2) Wheel hanger pins, or alignment pins, these are useful when changing the wheels at any time.

Purchase both mine from that famous auction site or Amazon.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The hanger pin is included in the kit that comes with the car.

The standard 20/21” wheel is damn heavy, it is difficult to lift over the boot lip and into the car. So I suggest that you add a pair of those disposable overalls and some gloves to your kit. In my boot I have some grip mat that I drape over the bumper to protect it when loading/unloading.

I have been advocating including a spare ever since I got an unrepairable flat. Additionally to the spare get a couple of cans of the sealant inflator as the last thing you want to do is try to change a wheel on a busy road.

The standard jack works well and in the Macan sills you will find locations specifically designed to secure the head of the jack.

The included air compressor will be located behind the left panel in the boot.

There is a procedure to follow for cars with Air Suspension to inhibit the self levelling feature.

There is nothing to stop you calling out Porsche Assist if you should be unfortunate enough to get a flat, if they baulk at coming out to assist state you have back issues and the spare is included to stop them having to low load the car to a dealer.

Here is old faithful, again.

IMG_0849.jpeg

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

M30LEV wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:45 am Like most people waiting for their new macans you start looking for those little extras. I have ordered the spare wheel on my GTS but realise a lot of people don't cosider it due to the safety concerns of jacking up a 2 ton car by the road side only supported by a sill jack so i purchased the following helpfull tools, hopefully they won't get used. The only down side is the extra weight but if you have to change the wheel at any time and you want to change it yourself it should make the job a bit easier and safer.

1) Foldable 3ton axel stand you can purchase these as a single item it's very compact and fits in the boot under the floor.
2) Wheel hanger pins, or alignment pins, these are useful when changing the wheels at any time.

Fair enough if you’re happy to change the wheel yourself by the roadside but I’d use Porsche Assistance.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

M30LEV wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:45 am Like most people waiting for their new macans you start looking for those little extras. I have ordered the spare wheel on my GTS but realise a lot of people don't cosider it due to the safety concerns of jacking up a 2 ton car by the road side only supported by a sill jack so i purchased the following helpfull tools, hopefully they won't get used. The only down side is the extra weight but if you have to change the wheel at any time and you want to change it yourself it should make the job a bit easier and safer.

They wouldn't provide a jack that was incapable of jacking up the car. So I wouldn't worry about that.

If you get a puncture, without a spare, you have to squirt that foam into it. So now the tyre can never be repaired and you have to travel (with foam in your tyre) and hope that the first tyre fitter you come to has a replacement tyre in stock.

With a spare, you can change the wheel, and get it repaired at the nearest tyre fitters (unless the puncture is in the sidewall) and be back on your way. Only £10-20 out of pocket and some dirty hands.

If you are worried about changing the tyre yourself, phone Porsche assist or the AA / RAC and they can come out and change it for you. Otherwise, get the wife to change it for you :lol:
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

As this endless debate goes around and around, I’m minded to think there is no right or wrong approach to having a spare or not. It comes down to the approach that is most comfortable.
There is no spare in a 911 (or Boxster) and zero concept of a “repair” as it is new tyre or nothing for these cars - would suggest same for Macan particularly GTS?
I specced a spare in the Macan, had one puncture and didn’t need to use it (lucky) but I don’t think I would bother speccing again - others will feel more comfortable with the backup, also very reasonable 🤷‍♂️
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I personally like to have a a spare wheel although obviously I hope that I never have to use it.

Probably the majority of new cars nowadays do not even have the option of a spare wheel so it is probably heading to join many other options from "the olden days". Wheels are getting bigger and bigger so difficult to fit in a car.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I carry a puncture repair kit in case I were somewhere with no phone signal etc. Otherwise its Porsche Assist for me :D

EVen if I had a spare wheel they'd be places I'd never use it, like on a motorway.
Macan S MY 2023
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

My spare wheel came in handy recently. I got to the end of my road and TPM announced sudden loss of pressure.
Turned car round and crawled back up road on to drive by which time rear tyre was nearly flat with nail in one of the treads.
Got the jack out for the first time and put the spare on within 15 mins after pumping it up to specified pressure.
Drove to my local favoured tyre garage and they managed to plug it there and then and put it back on for me.
Job done, £20, spare and jack back in boot, happy days.
Impressed with the Porsche Jack though.
If it had been by the side of a busy road in the dark it would not have been pleasant so definitely a job for Porsche Assistance but the spare wheel is definitely a good buy.
wingless

Post by wingless »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:03 pmThe standard 20/21” wheel is damn heavy, it is difficult to lift over the boot lip and into the car. So I suggest that you add a pair of those disposable overalls and some gloves to your kit. In my boot I have some grip mat that I drape over the bumper to protect it when loading/unloading.
My cargo area always has a old folded bedding comforter that is always used to fully cover from the folded flat rear seatbacks to over the rear bumper whenever I (frequently) use my vehicle for carrying stuff.

IMO it is THE DUMBEST THING that the vehicle manufacturers continue making vehicles w/ a finish painted rear bumper behind the cargo hatch. That wasn't an issue in the dinosaur days when the vehicles had a drop down tailgate, instead of the ongoing lift gate.

All of my vehicles include an augmented Safety Seal tire plug kit to permit Pakled motion using the existing wheels / tires whenever possible / appropriate / safe, otherwise the spare tire / compressor will be safely / properly used to resume motion.

2022 Macan
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

That's bloody ridiculous, even Col is happy with ONE spare! :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP