Help - Rear parcel shelf hinge broke!

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

I have just discovered that one of the hinges (lugs) on my rear parcel shelf has broken and the shelf is lose that side when the tailgate open. Thankfully it appears to not rattle about when on the move (closed) and that is why I have probably only just discovered it. I think I recently overloaded the boot on a holiday trip and when I closed the tailgate it has put too much pressure on that lug and it broke. A warning to others, although I doubt anyone on here would be so stupid to do what I have clearly done!

The rear shelf appears to be one complete unit and I don't think you can just buy another hinge - the whole shelf is pushing £500 to replace, a quick google is suggesting, but I will check with OPC on Monday. I have the stump of the lug remaining and will try some blue tac to mould on the stump and create the bigger original lug - hopefully this will at least hold it firmer in position, but not sure yet if it will allow the up and down movement of the shelf when the tailgate is opened. Anyone have any ideas of a better fix? I'm gutted, the car is only 15 months old and its going to bug me every time I open the tailgate now I know its broken.

Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Pic of broken lug will help. Is the lug the pin that fits into the socket ?
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Sorry to hear this, and I can confirm that the hinge pins cannot be bought separately, as I had one broken on my previous used Macan when I bought it, and my OPC supplied a complete new shelf FOC.

I would suggest you try looking for one at scrappage centres.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Fucking yikes £500 for a parcel shelf - I'm aware and here for the Porsche Tax but that feels a bit extreme!

Sorry, no help!

I'm surprised the boot lid was able to do that though, maybe just a bad combination of physics and leverage. Maybe see if your OPC will sort you out under warranty?
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

You can find several “used” on E Bay, just need to make sure you pick a good clean one.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

HertsMacan wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:38 pm I have just discovered that one of the hinges (lugs) on my rear parcel shelf has broken and the shelf is loose that side when the tailgate open..... closed the tailgate it put too much pressure on that lug and it broke. A warning to others, although I doubt anyone on here would be so stupid to do what I have clearly done!
Wrong, I did, exactly, with my Gen2. Probably with a load going to the tip :D
HertsMacan wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:38 pm ... the stump of the lug remaining and will try some blue tac to mould on the stump and create the bigger original lug - hopefully this will at least hold it firmer in position, but not sure yet if it will allow the up and down movement of the shelf when the tailgate is opened. Anyone have any ideas of a better fix?
I was fortunate in that I still had the "stump" and to my amazement, which continues to this day, a drop of super glue reattached it and it survived the year and more I had the car, even with normal, though careful, use! A first for super glue in my book. If I were you I'd keep the bluetack away from it, not rigid or strong enough to work and it will contaminate the surface and prevent something better from adhering
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

If you do not have the broken piece, I would drill into the remaining lug, put in a large screw, cut it to length and then mix up some epoxy putty and mould a new lug . The screw will help give a cohesive bond between the bracket and the epoxy.

Conversely if you have the broken piece I would apply a drop of Plumbers solvent and see if it bonds the two pieces together. Then I would drill through along the axis of the lug and secure with a screw, cutting off the excess
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:46 am If you do not have the broken piece, I would drill into the remaining lug, put in a large screw, cut it to length and then mix up some epoxy putty and mould a new lug . The screw will help give a cohesive bond between the bracket and the epoxy.

Conversely if you have the broken piece I would apply a drop of Plumbers solvent and see if it bonds the two pieces together. Then I would drill through along the axis of the lug and secure with a screw, cutting off the excess
+1

If you have the broken piece, glue + a screw through the centre for added strength must be worth a try before shelling out for a new or second hand parcel shelf.

I managed a similar repair on the parcel shelf for my wife’s TT and it didn’t fail again.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Do you know anyone handy with a plastic printer. I've seen some amazing motorbike parts printed up over the years.
Without seeing the broken piece, maybe it's possible to print a new bracket?
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

MooseMiller wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:26 am Do you know anyone handy with a plastic printer. I've seen some amazing motorbike parts printed up over the years.
Without seeing the broken piece, maybe it's possible to print a new bracket?
It was the "without seeing" bit that restrained me from getting any further into solutions, oh that and it being 1am of thereabouts :lol:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP