Car Insurance ( Again)

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Pythongrün

Post by Pythongrün »

TheGixxer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:17 pm I think everyone has an Insurance Horror Story to tell. The renewal on my GTS from Lloyds Bank came in at £751...........so I thought I'd try a 'compare the meerkat' quote and ended up with Hastings Direct @ £403 F/C so not too upset with that. 7 years no claims and live in East Sussex.
That’s a great price. Cheapest I’ve found is £1350 as wife has 3 points and an at fault motorcycle claim

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Pythongrün wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:34 pm
TheGixxer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:17 pm I think everyone has an Insurance Horror Story to tell. The renewal on my GTS from Lloyds Bank came in at £751...........so I thought I'd try a 'compare the meerkat' quote and ended up with Hastings Direct @ £403 F/C so not too upset with that. 7 years no claims and live in East Sussex.
That’s a great price. Cheapest I’ve found is £1350 as wife has 3 points and an at fault motorcycle claim
I think it’s the claim, not the points that is causing that. 🥴
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

It's odd...

We all buy on expensive luxury SUV for its attributes and then search for the cheapest insurance without a care for its attributes.

Is it the thought that "it won't happen to me"?

Our recent experience of Aviva offering to repair my wife's BMW after their driver reversed into it ended up with Aviva compensating her for shocking "service". At one point they said they were assessing her car in the workshop when we were still driving around in it. Another time their agent said "do you want your car repaired or not?" This was all before we'd decided whether to take up their offer, after they'd accepted liability. Ultimately we decided to claim through NFU and let them deal with getting the costs back from Aviva.

NFU were excellent, that's why they're number one. We chose the repairer, BMW. The body shop manager confirmed NFU are their number one for speed and no quibbling (and that Admiral are the worst). That NFU lost £1bn perhaps means they paid out... lots.
And for good service, or a good car, you have to expect to pay... more.

Cheapskate Porsche drivers... who knew?
rhinoman

Post by rhinoman »

I prefer frugal rather than cheapskate.

My 997.2 has probably been one of the cheapest cars I've owned due to keeping it for so long and low depreciation despite what people think when they see it.

The Macan I could have insured for less, but with adequate cover for my needs from Admiral, who are fairly well respected, especially considering the multicar option which made it much less expensive. NFU refused to offer a quote for me after over an hour on the phone as they don't do online quotes, and I did;t already insure with them.

Classicline for the 911, have been great over the years for me and were very competitive with our now-gone Q7, mostly due to having the 911 with them but couldn't compete with the Macan this time once I factored multicar with Admiral with my van.

Let's see what next year brings when hopefully some of this current nonsense settles down.
Last edited by rhinoman on Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Macan SD
2010 997.2 4S

Gone: 1998 996 3.4 Cab, 1999 986 Boxster 2.7
Monaco2323

Post by Monaco2323 »

crockers wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:38 am Have you tried a broker ?
Doesn’t Porsche offer insurance? At a massive cost I’d expect 😩
They do:

https://www.insurewithporsche.co.uk/car-insurance/

….
It was 3K for me, but Im London so all quotes are 2-4K

Maybe less pricey for others…
-----------------------------
On order : 992 Carrera S
Current : 2024 Macan

Ex cars:
2018 White Audi A5 45 TSFI Quattro Coupe
2015 Scuba Blue Audi TT
2016 Silver Chrysler 300 SRT
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

I am 72 years old, with a clean licence & have just renewed both of my Porsche cars insurance. The 2017 Macan S is insured with Churchill comprehensive plus @ £476 p/a gone up about £85 from last year, & my 2002 986S Boxster is insured with Locktons via PCGB scheme for £380 p/a agreed value on 5K miles per year, that has gone up £15 from last year.

I must say that Churchill were great to deal with last year when our neighbour reversed into the side of the Macan which required a new door, car repaired where I chose & a like for like loan car.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Jon A wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:46 pm
Pythongrün wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:34 pm ....Cheapest I’ve found is £1350 as wife has 3 points and an at fault motorcycle claim
I think it’s the claim, not the points that is causing that. 🥴
Typical insurance company. They don't accept no-claims gained on a motorcycle towards car insurance yet they penalise claims on a motorcycle policy towards car insurance
:evil:
dlgis

Post by dlgis »

rhinoman wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:53 pm
Classicline for the 911, have been great over the years for me and were very competitive with our now-gone Q7, mostly due to having the 911 with them but couldn't compete with the Macan this time once I factored multicar with Admiral with my van.
I tried Classicline last March when i bought the Macan, as they insure 2 other cars for me, but they wouldn’t quote as they said it was too “mainstream” or words to that effect :lol:
Darryl
Macan GTS 2023
cliverb

Post by cliverb »

My renewal has just come through from Hastings Direct. Last year I paid £535 and the new quote was £708. This policy had a £395 total excess and included legal cover. I did a quick check on the comparison sites and the best quote I got was £613 which was with Esure Flex. However this new quote had a total excess of £600 and I also deleted the legal cover I had on the Hastings policy, and the comparison site suggested a lower value for my car than I had previously declared to Hastings. So I phoned Hastings direct and made these 3 changes and asked them to match the Esure Flex price. They came back with a new price of £600 which I accepted.

I actually got quotes from 2 of the comparison sites - Confused.com and Compare the Market and on both of them Esure Flex was the cheapest quote, but on Confused.com the price was £640 and on Compare the Market it was £613 for exactly the same policy! I'll know which one to use in future, although you get a £20 Halfords voucher when taking out a new policy with Confused.com which is useful.
2014 Macan S in Agate Grey with Espresso leather interior
2005 Audi S4 Cabriolet in Sprint Blue with Silver leather interior
2019 Triumph Speed Twin 1200
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Legal cover via your car insurance is a rip off. I've done mine via the RAC for about 5 years, £15 a year and covers my wife's car and mine.