Different Tyres Fromt & Rear? Problem?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:14 am To the OP, if money is an issue replace both with the Goodyears. Normally I would stick with the same brand when replacing a pair but I prefer Michelin so would be aiming to end up with those all round on a car that is a keeper.
+1 on the Michelins.

I have used Michelins on all my cars for 20 years now and very happy with the performance but also my experience is that they seem to give me more miles than other brands. So whilst they are usually at the top end of pricing, I think they give good value for money on a cost per mile.

In the OPs position, if the fronts are more than half worn, I’d probably change all 4 tyres to Michelin. If not I’d stick with 2 new Pirelli’s.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Neil1911 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:56 am Isn't it necessary to look at the difference between the two rear tyre tread depth? IIRC the difference has to be less than 30% or both have to be replaced.... is that to stop transfer box or differential damage?
Yes it’s 30% difference across the axle. Probably not damage but more likely additional wear and, in theory, could affect handling due to different rotational speeds of the wheels.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Smokey99

Post by Smokey99 »

To those that have asked/mentioned current tread depth int the rears.

When I say advisory it was only because they’re running lower than the fronts and maybe at the level when some drivers might think about.

They were about 3.5mm each so still have plenty of wear left of them but appreciate that if one gets changed to brand new and then another is half the tread that could be an issue?

FWIW I’ve done just over 15,000 on the current set of tyres.
Macan S - Crayon Grey with lots of stuff

Your Porsche Code http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTSSA35

Previous: Audi S4 Avant; Octavia VRS Estate and many other hot hatches
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

ROSPA advise 3mm minimum.

I had both Pirelli then Goodyear on my 981, both sets faulty and both manufacturers refunded after engineer examination. Good years were great and hard wearing even though soft, but they split all the way round the sidewall. MOT fail.

I have Michelinsvon both 981 and Macan and wouldn't consider changing brand again.
Smokey99

Post by Smokey99 »

SimonH146 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:37 am Have you tried e+tyres? Currently quoting £252.99 per tyre, fitted for Pirelli’s. Relatively small premium over Goodyear is worth it to not mix types and also have better rolling resistance and wet performance in my opinion.IMG_0578.jpeg
Thanks for that. I hadn’t seen them before. Frustratingly they don’t seem to offer a mobile fitter near me so just need to work out if I can drive very gently to the nearest petrol station with a pump (1 mile away) and then pump up the tyre to get me to the nearest garage about 2 miles away?

crockers

Post by crockers »

Smokey99 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:49 am To those that have asked/mentioned current tread depth int the rears.

When I say advisory it was only because they’re running lower than the fronts and maybe at the level when some drivers might think about.

They were about 3.5mm each so still have plenty of wear left of them but appreciate that if one gets changed to brand new and then another is half the tread that could be an issue?

Perhaps it’s me but I wouldn’t say 3.5 mm has plenty of wear left in them. I tend to change tyres at 3mm. Below this wet weather handling diminishes quickly
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Smokey99 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:49 am To those that have asked/mentioned current tread depth int the rears.

Well Porsche says it is. I would change both.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

crockers wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:34 pm

Perhaps it’s me but I wouldn’t say 3.5 mm has plenty of wear left in them. I tend to change tyres at 3mm. Below this wet weather handling diminishes quickly
Agreed, and in particular the potential for aquaplaning given the biblical rain we seem to get very often these days.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Smokey99 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:07 pm
SimonH146 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:37 am Have you tried e+tyres? Currently quoting £252.99 per tyre, fitted for Pirelli’s. Relatively small premium over Goodyear is worth it to not mix types and also have better rolling resistance and wet performance in my opinion.IMG_0578.jpeg
Thanks for that. I hadn’t seen them before. Frustratingly they don’t seem to offer a mobile fitter near me so just need to work out if I can drive very gently to the nearest petrol station with a pump (1 mile away) and then pump up the tyre to get me to the nearest garage about 2 miles away?
From your spec, you didn't opt for a spare wheel. In any event, a tyre repair kit is standard on the S so inside the panel in the left hand wing of the boot you should find a compressor and a container of "gunge". If the tyre garage is only two miles away, I wouldn't bother with the sealant but you can use the compressor to pump the tyre up. If you're worried about the leakage rate you can always over inflate it.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Smokey99

Post by Smokey99 »

For a few mins I thought that was very insightful advice about the spare wheel because it wasn’t in my initial configuration.

However, having just checked under the boot floor it must have been added late on.

Probably worth investing £25 on Amazon for a compressor to get me the short drive to the tyre shop.