Rear washers not working - warranty or not?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Sdenny

Post by Sdenny »

I have a 2022 Gen3 2l model. The rear washers are not working. It's a 50+mile round trip to the dealer, so I emailed and this is the response I got back:
We usually see the T-Piece has disconnected causing the issue . I cannot claim this under warranty as it is usually outside influence that has caused this (normally freezing weather causing the pipe to over-pressurise and pop off the connector.)
There are a lot posts on here, so to save me reading every thread (66 pages in one) and a lot of banter, a direct question so I can talk to the dealer knowing what experience others had...

QUESTION: If your rear washer has stopped working and the car was in warranty, was it fixed free of charge?

I'm trying to decide if i change dealer or brand of car......

Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Many on here, including one recent poster a week or so ago, have had theirs fixed for free under warranty.

I'd go back to tell the dealer you are aware it's a common problem on Macan's (link to the megathread) and that as it's such a common problem, it's clearly a design error of the part in question, and as such is a warranty item.

Say if you can't reach an agreement, you will speak to Porsche GB.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Sdenny wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:34 pm I have a 2022 Gen3 2l model. The rear washers are not working. It's a 50+mile round trip to the dealer, so I emailed and this is the response I got back:
We usually see the T-Piece has disconnected causing the issue . I cannot claim this under warranty as it is usually outside influence that has caused this (normally freezing weather causing the pipe to over-pressurise and pop off the connector.)
There are a lot posts on here, so to save me reading every thread (66 pages in one) and a lot of banter, a direct question so I can talk to the dealer knowing what experience others had...

QUESTION: If your rear washer has stopped working and the car was in warranty, was it fixed free of charge?

I'm trying to decide if i change dealer or brand of car......
Think I'd be arguing that it's clearly a design flaw and should therefore be rectified by Porsche.
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Ours popped off a few months back.
Initial response from supplying dealer gold technician was "it's a design flaw but PGB say it's due to outside influences and so they won't pay under warranty."
Spoke to PGB, complaining in a nice way... they may be able to help. Said I'd speak to DP first and come back to them.
DP agreed to fix FOC, supplying a loan Macan FOC. We'd had quite a few issues since purchase, all fixed, but he may have been extra sympathetic.
Phoned PGB back to tell them the good news. They offered a £300 goodwill gesture for "the way I had approached them" as I hadn't "ranted and raved" at them. This is now a credit at supplying OPC for future purchases.

My advice? DO phone PGB to increase the number of complaints about this flaw.
THEN speak to supplying OPC DP and ask if he'd be so kind as to fix it.
AND check your washer antifreeze ratio well before winter time, so it doesn't happen again.
Sdenny

Post by Sdenny »

DJMCUK wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:07 pm Ours popped off a few months back.
Initial response from supplying dealer gold technician was "it's a design flaw but PGB say it's due to outside influences and so they won't pay under warranty."
Spoke to PGB, complaining in a nice way... they may be able to help. Said I'd speak to DP first and come back to them.
DP agreed to fix FOC, supplying a loan Macan FOC. We'd had quite a few issues since purchase, all fixed, but he may have been extra sympathetic.
Phoned PGB back to tell them the good news. They offered a £300 goodwill gesture for "the way I had approached them" as I hadn't "ranted and raved" at them. This is now a credit at supplying OPC for future purchases.

My advice? DO phone PGB to increase the number of complaints about this flaw.
THEN speak to supplying OPC DP and ask if he'd be so kind as to fix it.
AND check your washer antifreeze ratio well before winter time, so it doesn't happen again.
Thanks - that's really helpful. Re the antifreeze, it's always topped up to the recommended ratio, so shouldn't have happened in the first place, but perhaps I'll go stronger anyway in the future
HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

Warranty - end off. Not surprised in the slightest that many an OPC will try and fob you off if they think they can get away with it. Poorly designed component that is not fit for purpose nor of reasonable quality or lasting for a reasonable time period. Take legal action if they refuse under warranty - they will soon change their minds and pass it off as a goodwill gesture!
andreas

Post by andreas »

HertsMacan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:41 pm Warranty - end off. Not surprised in the slightest that many an OPC will try and fob you off if they think they can get away with it. Poorly designed component that is not fit for purpose nor of reasonable quality or lasting for a reasonable time period. Take legal action if they refuse under warranty - they will soon change their minds and pass it off as a goodwill gesture!
I'd agree, this sort of failure is a basic engineering design error and should never have happened. Porsche's attempts to pass it off as the result of inadequate antifreeze are weakened by the routine inclusion of a bottle of zero-antifreeze screenwash in most service schedules.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Pythongrün

Post by Pythongrün »

It’s a Porsche issue not yours. Like others have said, it’s well known and yet some OPC’s try to take the pi55
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Pythongrün wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:25 pm It’s a Porsche issue not yours. Like others have said, it’s well known and yet some OPC’s try to take the pi55
Is the Pi55 the new BMW EV?? 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

I was read the same wording re "external issue" as apparently the warranty wording was recently changed - OP have however agreed to fix, and now waiting for parts
Whether or not it's goodwill from Porsche, I'm not sure, but I tend to follow the path of least resistance so didn't enquire further :)