Porsche 968 Video

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
andywebber

Post by andywebber »

I seem to be turning into a Porsche fan boy for both classic and new cars :)

The link is a video to an Iain Tyrrell video on a Porsche 968

I did not even know that Porsche made a 968 model - I know that I wanted a 924 when I was 17 :)

I hope that some of you find this interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY89BMv-VBw

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Nice video, thanks Andy
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

What a great presentation from Iain. I couldn’t agree more with all his comments. But the only one thing is they are 3.0 litres. And had the largest pistons in any car at that time.
But I’m very biased though. I purchased one new, but the Sport version back in 1994. And it’s still with me today.
It now spends more of its life with its coat on, in my garage. Coming out for the odd show.
happy days

Post by happy days »

His face when the back end stepped out made me laugh.
Macan S D
718 S
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

TheTraveller wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:34 pm What a great presentation from Iain. I couldn’t agree more with all his comments. But the only one thing is they are 3.0 litres. And had the largest pistons in any car at that time.
But I’m very biased though. I purchased one new, but the Sport version back in 1994. And it’s still with me today.
It now spends more of its life with its coat on, in my garage. Coming out for the odd show.
Pics please!! :D
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Mike993

Post by Mike993 »

Unfortunately Iain has got this one terribly wrong!

Normally his videos are very good and he presents them well, but he should stick to Lambo's as his Porsche knowledge is a little lacking in this case. The car he is talking about is a 968 Sport, not one of the rare 179 UK Club Sports he claims it to be. The CS was Porsche GB's answer to the Sport not selling well, so they did a special Club Sport lightweight version, less is more. The major differences are in the interior, the CS has lightweight Recaro seats, rear seats delete, windup windows, rear hatch lock delete and less buttons on the centre console.

The 'lux pack' he talks of is just what the Sport came with as standard, and then some people just added the Club Sport sticker down the sides to create the exterior look of the CS. Engine and suspension wise there was no difference, though you could spec MO30 suspension/roll bars for more track focused handling.

You do have to be very careful if you were thinking of buying one as it is a bit of a minefield and Iain's video doesn't help. Some unscrupulous dealers have in the past tried to pass off the Sport as a Club Sport as there is a considerable difference in price, a decent Sport will cost you £15,000 - £20,000 but a correct C16 Club Sport will be £30,000 to £40,000+

This was the interior of mine, as you can see it's very different!

2018 GTS Jet Metallic Black with full black leather.
Mike993

Post by Mike993 »

Here's a compilation pic which shows some more of the differences between the Sport that Iain is confusing with a Club Sport. The CS has a blanking plate were the hatch lock was and a pull handle inside instead. The extended parcel shelf in place of the rear seats, then other than the beam height adjuster the only other button in the console would be for the sunroof if it had been optioned, also mine had the factory blanking plate for the radio delete. Lastly the manual window winder showing the blanking plate above where the electric swich would have been and the rear wiper delete bung in the rear hatch glass, all what you would be looking for in an original 968 Club Sport.

2018 GTS Jet Metallic Black with full black leather.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

:shock: fascinating, thanks. Not that I'm in the market for one!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:09 pm
TheTraveller wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:34 pm What a great presentation from Iain. I couldn’t agree more with all his comments. But the only one thing is they are 3.0 litres. And had the largest pistons in any car at that time.
Pics please!! :D
I’ll do that Simon, later on in the year. As I haven’t taken any of the car, ever. And I’m abroad at the moment, maxing out my 90 days in Portugal.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Mike993 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm Unfortunately Iain has got this one terribly wrong!

Normally his videos are very good and he presents them well, but he should stick to Lambo's as his Porsche knowledge is a little lacking in this case. The car he is talking about is a 968 Sport, not one of the rare 179 UK Club Sports he claims it to be. The CS was Porsche GB's answer to the Sport not selling well, so they did a special Club Sport lightweight version, less is more. The major differences are in the interior, the CS has lightweight Recaro seats, rear seats delete, windup windows, rear hatch lock delete and less buttons on the centre console.

The 'lux pack' he talks of is just what the Sport came with as standard, and then some people just added the Club Sport sticker down the sides to create the exterior look of the CS. Engine and suspension wise there was no difference, though you could spec MO30 suspension/roll bars for more track focused handling.

You do have to be very careful if you were thinking of buying one as it is a bit of a minefield and Iain's video doesn't help. Some unscrupulous dealers have in the past tried to pass off the Sport as a Club Sport as there is a considerable difference in price, a decent Sport will cost you £15,000 - £20,000 but a correct C16 Club Sport will be £30,000 to £40,000+

This was the interior of mine, as you can see it's very different!

Interesting, I was always led to believe that the model sequence was different to as you state.
The first model was the Coupe, but that didn’t sell well, because it was very near the 911 price.
So they then brought out the Club Sport, which cost much less. But it was less luxurious inside, and that didn’t do well. That’s why there was very few of them made. So then the Sport was brought out, which was in between the two previous, and that sold better.