Macans are about to be uninsurable!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Noslouch wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:49 am It is very dark in here…….
We told you, your enroute to the far east
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

dlgis

Post by dlgis »

Mark McCann has a part2 to his video out. Also worth a watch.

I fitted a security device on my Disco4 a few years back. I bought a cheap OBD port off ebay for £2 and substituted it for the real one which i relocated elsewhere. So I did have to remove some panels to connect to the correct obd port but it would have confused a thief for a while. It certainly confused the garage i took the car to when i forgot to mention the relocation 😆
Darryl
Macan GTS 2023
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

if i was unfortunate enough to live in your area, my macan would have its starter relay removed every night, it wont go anywhere without it.
Last edited by fabmacan on Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

There was a national TV campaign, I think in the 1970’s. Yes that far back, that was informing the motorists of the importance, of having a hidden switch installed inside the car. That prevented it from starting/running, until it was made positive.
I’m sure that something similar could be done the same these days.
andreas

Post by andreas »

fabmacan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:37 pm if i was unfortunate enough to live in your area, my macan would have its starter relay removed every night, it wont go anywhere without it.
Where is this starter relay?
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

andreas wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:51 pm
fabmacan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:37 pm if i was unfortunate enough to live in your area, my macan would have its starter relay removed every night, it wont go anywhere without it.
Where is this starter relay?
I believe the relay/fuse panel is in the boot, behind some trim. A google suggest the right hand side. You'd have to identify which relay is for the starter, but probably quite a simple thing to pop out once you know where it is.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Rudi21

Post by Rudi21 »

Glad to see this Macan theft worry has died down and not about to become a nightmare.
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

The more I think about it, the more I wonder how many Macan's being stolen are due to simply being left unlocked.

I have noticed with my own key that sometimes it does not respond to a lock command. It would be simple enough to not notice it hasn't locked if you are on your way in, perhaps.

A friend of mine who lives a few moments away says their street WhatsApp group is full of Ring camera footage of ne'er do well's walking down his road trying the handles of every car they come across. I am willing to bet more people leave their car unlocked (accidentally or through sheer negligence) than you'd tend to realise. That combined with that OBD trick above...
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Plyphon wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:02 pm The more I think about it, the more I wonder how many Macan's being stolen are due to simply being left unlocked.

I have noticed with my own key that sometimes it does not respond to a lock command. It would be simple enough to not notice it hasn't locked if you are on your way in, perhaps.

A friend of mine who lives a few moments away says their street WhatsApp group is full of Ring camera footage of ne'er do well's walking down his road trying the handles of every car they come across. I am willing to bet more people leave their car unlocked (accidentally or through sheer negligence) than you'd tend to realise. That combined with that OBD trick above...
Yeah, the lock bottom rarely works full time. I can’t just walk away and press the button. I have to physically look at the car to see if the indicators flash and the mirrors fold in. Not good that locking your car is so poorly designed.
Last edited by wab172uk on Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

wab172uk wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:39 pm
Plyphon wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:02 pm The more I think about it, the more I wonder how many Macan's being stolen are due to simply being left unlocked.

Yeah, the lock bottom rarely works full time. I can just walk away and press the button. I have to physically look at the car to see if the indicators flash and the mirrors fold in. Not good that locking your car is so poorly designed.
I physically check that the door is actually locked, by trying the door handle! In addition, I check from my window that the little red light is flashing on the centre console, on my way up to bed! :lol: :lol:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018