Macans are about to be uninsurable!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
DRW

Post by DRW »

I think we all need to calm down and take a deep breath, there are cars stolen every day all makes, models and spec, I know the Land Rover saga has been in the news, but it really doesn't help anyone by these statements?

You certainly have had an unfortunate experience and it is never easy when your prize possession is taken, although I would be more upset if my stolen Macan had been found and returned ???

I live in deepest Breconshire so we do not have the same issues as London, I have just renewed my insurance it has increased by Β£140.00 from last year?

It seems that W9 does not seem to be a nice area to own an expensive car??

DRW

Noslouch

Post by Noslouch »

Hi DRW
The point is that Porsche need to take action because their security has been broached. Until now a Macan has been considered as very secure.
These are not crooks reading key signals or stealing keys as depicted on TV!
I have no idea how it is possible but they can just walk up and open a car with no damage
Since Range Rover have been able to do a security upgrade, presumably with the vast resources of VAG behind them it is relatively easy for Porsche.
Will think carefully about moving to Breconshire (are we allowed to call it that?)
On balance, the idea of driving my GT3 Touring at 20mph everywhere will probably swing my decision! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Noslouch

Post by Noslouch »

As a matter of interest how do they get into Macans??
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Noslouch wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:55 pm Hi DRW
The point is that Porsche need to take action because their security has been broached. Until now a Macan has been considered as very secure.
I have no idea how it is possible but they can just walk up and open a car with no damage
Since Range Rover have been able to do a security upgrade, presumably with the vast resources of VAG behind them it is relatively easy for Porsche.
Will think carefully about moving to Breconshire (are we allowed to call it that?)
On balance, the idea of driving my GT3 Touring at 20mph everywhere will probably swing my decision! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
The VAG group have been piss poor for donkey’s years, dieselgate showed their true colours.

The pathetic excuse for Sat Nav and Infotainment that is fitted to a Macan have been around for ten years and still it is dire.

VAG software is a joke, they are still struggling to get their EV’s to function.

Macan ICE is being dropped in the EU.

Simply have a look online at the sheer volume of Lock Picks that are readily available, they can be in any car in seconds flat, connect up to the OBD port and thirty seconds later they are driving away.

Two minutes later they park up and rip out the Tracker in a task that takes a minute or so.

It is not just Porsche it is any car, if they want it, it is gone.

Surprising that insurance companies are not insisting that we:- Garage the car, fit bollards if you have to park on your drive, always fit a visible steering lock and have a couple of Airtags or similar hidden in the vehicle.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Noslouch

Post by Noslouch »

I see
Suppose Macans are being taken for the value of their parts.
Seems to be later cars that are being taken
DRW

Post by DRW »

Do you think that Porsches have only recently been stolen or is it the fact that vehicle theft has always occurred ?

The question is hypothetical ?

Mr Lamb is correct its not just Porsche its every manufacturers cars?

The saying todays newspaper will be tomorrows chip wrapping, yes I am showing my age, this is just the moments news and jumped upon by U Tubers and social media for followers etc.

As with JLR, Porsche will not be interested until it affects the profits or customers start to leave the brand?
I don't think JLR have spent ten million because they are concerned about their customers.............

DRW
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

Col Lamb wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:21 pm
The VAG group have been piss poor for donkey’s years, dieselgate showed their true colours.

The pathetic excuse for Sat Nav and Infotainment that is fitted to a Macan have been around for ten years and still it is dire.

VAG software is a joke, they are still struggling to get their EV’s to function.

Simply have a look online at the sheer volume of Lock Picks that are readily available, they can be in any car in seconds flat, connect up to the OBD port and thirty seconds later they are driving away.

Two minutes later they park up and rip out the Tracker in a task that takes a minute or so.

Surprising that insurance companies are not insisting that we:- Garage the car, fit bollards if you have to park on your drive, always fit a visible steering lock and have a couple of Airtags or similar hidden in the vehicle.
Actually my insurer does insist that my Macan is garaged overnight when at home, otherwise it is not covered against theft from my home. This was a condition of my policy (with Aviva).
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

The thieving's everywhere in London and includes most manufacturers. It's definitely not just Porsche

This happened in Putney last week, and there are other recent examples. Apparently they're after airbags, but this looks more extensive than that to me - but am not an expert

Am lucky that I have somewhere to securely keep our cars. If we didn't we'd definitely be driving different, cheaper cars in this family. I used to leave my 997 on the street for years and it was untouched - but think we're in a fresh new era of car theft

bmw.jpeg

Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
crockers

Post by crockers »

Moriarty wrote: ↑Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:14 am
Col Lamb wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:21 pm

Actually my insurer does insist that my Macan is garaged overnight when at home, otherwise it is not covered against theft from my home. This was a condition of my policy (with Aviva).
What area is that ?

My Granddaughter had to have a secondary immobilizer fitted and it has to be garaged overnight. That's in Hampstead area.
I suppose she's lucky as many insurers won't insure a RR Vogue in that area.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

FirstSeaLord wrote: ↑Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:01 pm The thieving's everywhere in London and includes most manufacturers. It's definitely not just Porsche

This happened in Putney last week, and there are other recent examples. Apparently they're after airbags, but this looks more extensive than that to me - but am not an expert

Am lucky that I have somewhere to securely keep our cars. If we didn't we'd definitely be driving different, cheaper cars in this family. I used to leave my 997 on the street for years and it was untouched - but think we're in a fresh new era of car theft
Looks like they left the indicators assuming with it being a bmw they don’t work !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S