EU Regulators Tell Manufacturers to Dial back use of Haptic screens

The place to discuss everything else..
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

They have said that the increased use of screens for control of the vehicle, is basically getting out of hand. And is distracting and dangerous, while driving.
If they want to get and keep the top NCap rating, they must get back to the old way of controlling functions.
Starting from Jan 2026, Indicators, Hazard Warning Lights, Wipers, S O S calls and the horn, must have knobs, stalks or levers to operate them. But I would think that most vehicles have not or will ever have, some of these functions on a screen.
I think someone, somewhere is having a brain wave and using common sense.

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Screens on many cars are definitely out of hand.

Maybe some good news.
GTB

Post by GTB »

Totally agree with that stance.
A lot of modern cars just a big touch/haptic screen.
Far too much going on. Something to be said for buttons and turning dials.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

One of good things about the Macan are the switches, even the haptics.
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Will sanity prevail and we will have less of the hideous I pad stuff🙈
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

TheTraveller wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:11 pm They have said that the increased use of screens for control of the vehicle, is basically getting out of hand. And is distracting and dangerous, while driving.
If they want to get and keep the top NCap rating, they must get back to the old way of controlling functions.
Starting from Jan 2026, Indicators, Hazard Warning Lights, Wipers, S O S calls and the horn, must have knobs, stalks or levers to operate them. But I would think that most vehicles have not or will ever have, some of these functions on a screen.
Surely there isn’t a car that currently has those specific functions only accessible via a screen?
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
GTB

Post by GTB »

Paul1970 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:03 am
TheTraveller wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:11 pm They have said that the increased use of screens for control of the vehicle, is basically getting out of hand. And is distracting and dangerous, while driving.
Surely there isn’t a car that currently has those specific functions only accessible via a screen?

paul1970,

Maybe they are putting in those rules now, before some mad design person thinks let’s put everything on a touchscreen. So they have looked at what they consider to be items/functions that must be by a physical lever/button/knob.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

GTB wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:44 am

paul1970,

Maybe they are putting in those rules now, before some mad design person thinks let’s put everything on a touchscreen. So they have looked at what they consider to be items/functions that must be by a physical lever/button/knob.

GTB
I'm not sure it's all down to 'some mad design person'!

Much more to do with the bean counters discovering how much cheaper it is to add something to the screen than to design, approve, produce and fit some knobs and switches.

They need to stop alot more than just those listed. Heater controls hidden in some submenu...great idea !💡 🤔
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Take a look at the 2024 model Tesla 3. Nearly everything is now controlled and operated by the (iPad type) screen or steering wheel buttons. No indicator type stalks or knobs at all.

Screenshot_20240319_101838_Chrome.jpg

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Woodhouse

Post by Woodhouse »

If I recall, Taycan I had had a touch screen to adjust direction of cabin air vents!
Macan S - MY23 - PRG1YBJ5 - (his)

F60 Mini Countryman Cooper S (hers)