Cracked windscreen

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

This is down to individual insurers and what they will allow. Always check before insuring if you wish to insist on OEM glass.

Auto Windscreens replaced the windscreen in my 981 many years ago. It was non-OEM but they assured me it would be as good.

It wasn't. It was wavy where I looked through it. Returned to them and they agreed and replaced it with a Porsche screen.

Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

I too was puzzled regarding "calibration" of my new windscreen. Autoglass confirmed mine does need recalibrated and when I asked why she just said their records show this model of car needs it. Thinking about it now I think that must apply to the auto wipers. I always wondered how they detected rain and could differentiate from light to heavy rain.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Chilgrove wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:35 pm I too was puzzled regarding "calibration" of my new windscreen. Autoglass confirmed mine does need recalibrated and when I asked why she just said their records show this model of car needs it. Thinking about it now I think that must apply to the auto wipers. I always wondered how they detected rain and could differentiate from light to heavy rain.
I imagine that the camera for Lane Keep Assist also needs checking. All this calibration stuff is very common now, and Autoglass, etc, are set up to do it.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
boer13

Post by boer13 »

Had a new shield fitted by Autoglass in December. They recalibrated all sensors incl adaptive cruise control. All working as before.
'17 sd | agate grey & black | 20" | bi-xenon & pdls | pasm | adaptive cc | ldw |
'16 sd | sapphire blue & agate+pebble grey | 20" | bi-xenon & pdls | pasm | adaptive cc | ldw |
HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

I had same issue with screen when my car was six months old and insured with admiral. Admiral were happy to fund OEM glass because of age of car, but Autoglass said replacement would take 6 weeks for them to get glass from Porsche (probably excuse as they earn more out of pattern glass). I went for non OEM glass and immediate replacement and boy what a mistake! First screen - fitter left bits of the paper wrapping on the glass and used too much glue which could be seen from inside car. Windscreen leaked water and the rear view mirror also come off in my hand every time I adjusted it. Second screen - didn't complete the calibration properly and rear view mirror still coming off in hand when adjusted. After 6 months of attempts to fix the issue and threat of legal action, Autoglass agreed to replace third screen with OEM screen at £2K loss to them. No problems when OEM screen fitted. It was an absolute nightmare travelling to Borehamwood, Cambridge and finally Harlow autoglass centre sorted it. All the time having telephone monkey's saying they are sorry but unable to sort my problem.

To be fair, they fit 1000's of screen and some go wrong. It's all done to luck with how competent your "fitter" is. They did mention that there had been a small batch of Macan pattern screens which were giving trouble and hence I got an OEM one. Definitely get OEM if you can on your insurance.
GTB

Post by GTB »

Just had call from Autoglass, Admiral authorised original Porsche glass so they will get back to me with expected delivery date of glass!!
And no additional surcharges etc

Local OPC quoted for supply and fit of a new genuine screen as well, they said part would be two days to arrive, its a heated screen so they were showing £1,086.37 for the screen and £260 to fit, prices are both Ex Vat.

Autoglass said they cant indicate yet when glass will arrive but will have been ordered via a Porsche OPC, so I did say that will be two days then?? so we shall see what happens.

As others have said Im happy its a genuine replacement glass, its all about the competancy of the fitter.

I will keep updates coming.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Has anyone that's had a none OEM screen fitted got a view on how they compare to the original? I have the distinct feeling that Porsche screens pick up far more little chips and scratches than any non-premium car I've ever owned previously. :x
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm Has anyone that's had a none OEM screen fitted got a view on how they compare to the original? I have the distinct feeling that Porsche screens pick up far more little chips and scratches than any non-premium car I've ever owned previously. :x
I had an Autoglass screen and they told me it comes out the same factory as OEM version 🤔
Didn’t notice any difference in terms of everything worked (rain sensing, cameras etc) but didn’t have it long enough to make comment on how robust it was.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
andreas

Post by andreas »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm Has anyone that's had a none OEM screen fitted got a view on how they compare to the original? I have the distinct feeling that Porsche screens pick up far more little chips and scratches than any non-premium car I've ever owned previously. :x
Yes, the Porsche glass seems very soft and prone to tiny chips.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Am due to get my 718 back next week, with its new OEM screen. Does anyone know how to check that it actually is OEM? Think there’s a Porsche crest

Will check my Macan tomorrow when I get it
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)