CarPlay in iOS10

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Not a lot of love for CarPlay in yesterday's iOS10 announcements.

The bullet points seem to be:
  • CarPlay gets messaging and VOIP calls with Siri via third-party apps
  • New Maps is coming to CarPlay too
  • CarPlay Maps instrument cluster
  • CarPlay on ultrawide screens
  • CarPlay app reordering
The one intriguing thing is support for in-dash secondary screens, so I wonder if this means we'd get stuff on the MFD? If so, that would need some love from Porsche too.

There is nothing, that I can see from a developers' point of view for CarPlay, so I think that's still going to be an invitation-only club, so no, you aren't going to see Waze any time soon because of this.

Very few people on here care much about Connect Plus/CarPlay but a common theme amongst them is "CarPlay can only get better with updates." Is this enough?

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

goron59

Post by goron59 »

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/13/11919996/apple-carplay-update-siri-maps-features-wwdc-2016 has some summary info.
LLL

Post by LLL »

Thanks for posting goron. I also watched the Keynote yesterday and was a bit disappointed both that they didn't announce any new mac hardware and also that Carplay updates were only a few minor things. Some new features to apple maps can maybe make it a bit better. All new iOS iMessage features is quite cool though.

Unfortunately no Waze on the horizon which is a shame. That feature alone would have converted me to Carplay user. Now - not so much.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

So tomorrow we'll see for sure what's what with iOS10... publicly anyway. Devvers and beta-testers have had it for a while :)

goron59

Post by goron59 »

Well I had a quick play with iOS 10 CarPlay this morning and aside from some tweaks observed by others, I couldn't really see any major benefits.

The one useful thing is ability to rearrange the icons on the screen, so I can get the ones I use most closer to the driver's side to minimise the need to stretch.

I also discovered that iOS screen shots take shots of both phone and car, so I learned something :)

[note, by the way, that signal is none, but I have full wifi from PCM from the same network EE]

["now playing" and "maps" on driver's side and "free books" replacing "audio books" on screen 1]
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Just downloaded iOS10 myself this morning, so looking forward to trying out CarPlay when my car arrives next week. I have well managed expectations though based on everything I have read on this forum. Most interested in Connect+ for all the other features to be honest.
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
LLL

Post by LLL »

I also tested out CarPlay with iOS 10 today on my commute from work. Not impressed at all and hardly noticed any improvements. Re-arranging the icons is just a small improvement since there anyway currently are so few apps available. But ok, I moved my streaming service to page 1 instead of page 2. Wow :)

And the other improvement is supposed to be the Apple Map app. Used it for navigating to home today just to test. Still no improvements in the UI or graphics and the app is just miles worse than the PCM-Map. One upgrade though is that it now show live traffic in the same way that the Phone-app does. But with connect+ I like the PCM-implementation better and the RTTI is as good or even better since Porsche use Inrix which also gather traffic data from waze and google among other data sources.

These tiny improvements in iOS10 will for sure not make me start using Carplay and I stick with the PCM solution which I find much more intuitive and better to look at from a UI/Visual/Functional perspective. Also not like the Carplay integration where the phone get's cut off and the Multifunction wheel is not possible to use.

We'll see if the PCM-updates that are supposed to come in october will improve on the integration between Carplay <-> PCM.

Luke2016-09-14 17:20:36
goron59

Post by goron59 »

The key difference in iOS 10 maps is that you can now add temporary detours to an existing journey and it does it quite well. Something that PCM 4 does very badly.

It's still poorer than PCM overall, but for simple stuff, especially voice control and integration with other stuff that's important to me, it's passable.

The ability to bring icons to within easier reach is actually quite a big deal to me as having to lean/reach before was always a strong annoyance. Maybe not a big deal for Luke because he's on the wrong side of the car already :)

Some other nice bits I noticed today is it automatically marking where you park. Handy in a big car park :)

And the way it smoothly switches from foot to car navigation is much much nicer than the PCM Connect solution.

I think if the UI didn't look so cartoony I'd almost be tempted to use it as my main navigator. Almost :)

LLL

Post by LLL »

I didn't test out the de-tour stuff, maybe should boot up Carplay one more time then just for the sake of it :). But honestly, I think the PCM does de-tour very intuitive? Just enter a new destination and then click on "Add" instead of start? Or am I missing something?

Haha, lol, yes since I drive from the passenger seat it is much easier. I'm right-handed so for me it is also more intuitive to select stuff on the pcm from the passenger seat :)

I've never had a practical need for the navigation after car is parked, but I can see the point.