First 24 hrs - sd review

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
midlifecrisis

Post by midlifecrisis »

Hi - 24 hrs in, here's my thoughts.

Things I love
- the colour, (night blue). Gorgeous in the sun, dark when it's cloudy, it really shimmers when it catches the light.
- the pebble grey interior. So classy, and goes so well with the blue.
- the 21" turbo wheels. They look awesome.
- the chrome surrounds and skid plate give the car the classy look I wanted. Well pleased with this effect.
- its handling. Just wow, light years ahead of anything I've had previously, and corners Beautifully.
- pasm. You can really tell the difference. Comfort mode is very well named.
- sports plus.(more on that in the next section)
- the heated steering wheel. How did I ever manage without one?!
- pano. Proper cool.
- lane assist and cruise control (didn't know it was standard and very useful) especially when I'm driving late and tired.
- stereo. Was bemoaning how low the volume was until I realised my I phone volume was turned down. Playing fleet wood mac (the chain) on full blast with the roof down felt pretty cool,
- just looking at the car (makes me smile)

Things that could be a teeny weeny bit betterer.,,
- the Roofbox. Hard to fit, and assemble.
- cargo management mesh net. Unless I'm totally thick, it just hangs there, looking wrong.
- the car is not quite quick enough imo. I simply don't understand why they would make the sq5 more powerful. Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty quick, and I knew what I was buying, (diesel is a must for me) but it just doesn't have the push back in the seat wow factor. It feels "ruthlessly efficient" rather than "excitingly quick".
Yes sports plus helps matters, but it can only use the power that is available, and there's not enough there!

All in, I'm delighted with the car - it's very very well put together, oozes class, and drives fantastically well,
Just should be faster !!! midlifecrisis2016-06-18 18:58:45
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHV37CY4

Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

Give it a good few thousand miles, my diesel is significantly quicker and more responsive now that I've passed 10,000 miles. I was unimpressed at first as well but now loving my Macan.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
steve w

Post by steve w »

Midlifecrisis
Good first report ,I think the same about the power could do with a bit more oumph,I noticed it especially with 3up and luggage but overall a brilliant machine IMO as an overall vehicle it's possibly the best of the bunch,quick enough for most,fuel efficient and looks great,the GTS we have on order has something to live up to.
SteveW
Colonel Klink

Post by Colonel Klink »

I must be missing something here........why didn't you buy something quicker?

Dealer buggered up my SD order. Ended up with a 2009 997.2 C4S....Now life is just one big orgasm.
Canary

Post by Canary »

Haha colonel klink I was wondering the same as it must have been still a weeny bit slow in the original test drive???

I do appreciate the op thoughts however and time taken to write up a report about a great car if it's any conselation my range rover sport hit 10000 miles and really freed up so much so I'm sad to see it go now as it's much more fun.

Alex
midlifecrisis

Post by midlifecrisis »

I must be missing something here........why didn't you buy something quicker?

Cos as I said in my report, I have to have diesel. (Free from work)
midlifecrisis

Post by midlifecrisis »

Ps - well done on picking out the one negative in what was an overwhelmingly positive report.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Great report Midlifecrisis. I'm a newcomer to Porsche and I think any Macan is awesome! I like your classy spec and can picture it gleaming in the sun. 99.9% of motorists would give anything to be in a car like this and it's no surprise to me that whatever spec we choose we will be driving around with a large smile.
Reading your report heightens my anticipation!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I like these assessment posts. Nice one.
I was doing The Chain (early demo session without baseline) with roof open myself this morning :)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

Great report Midlifecrisis. I'm a newcomer to Porsche and I think any Macan is awesome! I like your classy spec and can picture it gleaming in the sun. 99.9% of motorists would give anything to be in a car like this and it's no surprise to me that whatever spec we choose we will be driving around with a large smile.
Reading your report heightens my anticipation!

+1
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016