First 24 hrs - sd review

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Colonel Klink

Post by Colonel Klink »

I must be missing something here........why didn't you buy something quicker?

Cos as I said in my report, I have to have diesel. (Free from work)

You mentioned the SQ5 in your 'report'....That's a diesel.

I wasn't trying to be confrontational, although I believe you think I was, especially after reading your 'ps' post.

I think my question is valid as it made me wonder why someone would order, and most probably wait months for delivery of a car that they knew was not fast enough for them, and then write a 'report' with top of the list, how much they love the colour.

I hope you learn to accept the car and enjoy it.
Dealer buggered up my SD order. Ended up with a 2009 997.2 C4S....Now life is just one big orgasm.

midlifecrisis

Post by midlifecrisis »

Thanks guys - I realise how lucky we are!
I know it's a first world problem to have a little moan about its power, and overall it's a 9 out 10! If they could get the new macan above 300 bhp in the diesel then it's a definite 10/10.

I really love the car, and will be taking it for a decent run out this week to get to know it that bit better.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHV37CY4
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

I like these assessment posts. Nice one.
I was doing The Chain (early demo session without baseline) with roof open myself this morning :)

Great first impressions.

Try Pink Floyd - Time, once passed the alarm clock sounds right at the beginning, that is. Love the bass.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
LLL

Post by LLL »

Great report midlife! Always enjoy reading these pro/con lists and general impressions.

As for the lack of power - I owned an SQ5 before my Macan. And I test drove a Macan diesel while still owning the SQ5 and I would say that the difference is minimal even though the SQ5 got some more power on paper. The Audi is heavier than the Macan and the PDK makes up for some of the power difference compared to the Tiptronic box in the SQ5. If you want some more power I would pop in a Racechip in your Macan. I had a Racechip in my SQ5 (2 years) and it really made a huge difference and I had no issues what so ever and just a great experience overall.
midlifecrisis

Post by midlifecrisis »

Cheers Luke - think that may invalidate the warranty! Been out in it this morning, and it felt a bit quicker! More bends, and Rocky playing on the stereo probably helped!
Don't get me wrong though, I love the car, it's an amazing vehicle, and I know we'll be very happy together!!
midlifecrisis

Post by midlifecrisis »

one other thing that could be better are the headlights - (I know I was advised by you lot to upgrade, and declined to follow this advice on the basis of the ludicrously expensive price!)
The standard ones are not great, and very "yellow" - I had spent way too much anyway, so could not stretch to them, but if they are important to anybody considering buying a Macan, then I would definitely include the upgrade.
Rob
MacFresh

Post by MacFresh »

one other thing that could be better are the headlights - (I know I was advised by you lot to upgrade, and declined to follow this advice on the basis of the ludicrously expensive price!)
The standard ones are not great, and very "yellow" - I had spent way too much anyway, so could not stretch to them, but if they are important to anybody considering buying a Macan, then I would definitely include the upgrade.
Rob

"Get a grip! They are headlights for gawd's sake!"
Sorry Rob, only teasing, just couldn't resist Tongue
You ll find lots of advice on this forum on changing the bulbs to get whiter, more xenons-like ones: Philips xtreme vision, white vision, osram nightbreakers, 4500K MTech were popular names
PART X SD http://www.porsche-code.com/PHXAU6Q8 , delivered Aug16
CANCELLED GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PHCYY790 , delivery Mar17
NOW Panamera D 300hp 2015
Monty2

Post by Monty2 »

Macan SD with over 300 BHP, Mmh! try a Cayenne SD 380BHP its a rocket ship BUT although 8 speed auto would be better with a 7 speed PDK. We now have both in the family in an ideal world I would transplant the V8 SD into the Macan but it would rip the PDK apart maybe.
We had a 300 mile round trip to the south coast this weekend with a drive into Arundal Saturday, we treated the Macan to a tank full of Ultimate Diesel it felt more responsive and quicker, we also returned just over 40 MPG for the whole weekend which included a crawl around the west side of the M25 Friday afternoon. That's seriously good as I'm no driving Miss daisy type of Porsche owner.
Enjoy your Macan SD they are still rare in our neck of the woods and a bit special, I can count six SQ5s all in the local 5 mile radius and they are all that special SQ5 blue plus a mega amount of Q5s with SQ5 wheels I don't think that will ever be the same with Macan's.
I sold my own Q5 TDi S Line after 5 months a few years ago as they felt uncomfortable and just didn't want to go around corners quickly and moved to Evoque's which after poor quality and service dept. issues with LR we then moved into the Macan SD within weeks I ordered a Macan GTS due next spring I was that impressed with the Macan package. I'm also thinking its going to be hard giving up the Macan SD for the GTS as it ticks 9 out of 10 boxes. When I filled up Friday and started my journey my range was showing as 580 miles and it shouldn't be far away from that before next fill I don't think the GTS will be as reluctant to empty the tank.
Macan GTS Close to Estoril Blue

Left the family white Macan SD, Cayenne S D V8 Meteor
martinw

Post by martinw »

Had a bit of a drag race with an SQ5 a month or so ago (I'm in an SD) and I started a bit behind him (getting onto the straight) from a T-junction and up to about 60 Wink I could see him pulling away slightly but not a lot, maybe a cars length.
I've since passed him a couple of times on the twisties around here; any numpty can drive fast in a straight line Wink
Same road (the twisty bit) had an M135 behind me (not that I knew it was an M135, I just thought it was a little BMW with a bit of attitude Embarrassed), left him for dead, he was up for it too (looked like he was warming up his tyres at one point LOL), since then I heard from a friend (Aberdeen is a small place relatively) the guy in the M135 who knows my friend (not that I knew him) couldn't believe I was in a diesel and how the car handled (in sport+ with a bit of a wriggle on Wink).
Also similar type of road behind an RS5, he couldn't get away from me, we were sliding all over the place LOL
If there's a long straight and the going gets above 100mph lots of cars can beat the SD but in a real world situation where you're not going completely bonkers and likely to lose your license it acquits itself very well Star
At no point in any of the above situations was I exceeding the speed limit of the road Tongue

martinw2016-06-20 12:16:42
midlifecrisis

Post by midlifecrisis »

Rob

"Get a grip! They are headlights for gawd's sake!"
Sorry Rob, only teasing, just couldn't resist Tongue
You ll find lots of advice on this forum on changing the bulbs to get whiter, more xenons-like ones: Philips xtreme vision, white vision, osram nightbreakers, 4500K MTech were popular names

Touchez!!
Fair point - but it does seem a bit much to pay well over a grand for blinking headlights! (I had a budget of 50k, spent 60k so something had to give!!) - the missus still thinks the car was "just a bit more than the Mercedes" (gawd help me if she finds out the truth!!)Ouch