Which tracks are the most fun at silverstone

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Ordered a macan sd in May really wanted a petrol , anyway going to silverstone next week which tracks are the most fun or do you get to go around all of them .

Makanik

Post by Makanik »

They are all great fun and you should get plenty of time to try them all - with the only exception being the 'off-road' section which is unsuitable for the Macan. You can switch to a Cayenne I believe if you particularly want to do this section.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
goron59

Post by goron59 »

The full F1 circuit. Then Stowe anti-clockwise with just one chicane on the straight.

But you're not allowed on those :'(

At PEC though there are two handling circuits. The new one with the straights in the middle is less fun, though does have a mini upward corkscrew.

The older handling circuit I think is more fun because you spent more time with lateral loading and with confidence can get some speed up. Assuming it's not busy.

The rest (ice hill, low friction, straights, etc) is all about what a modern car can do, so if you've never done it before, worth a play.

goron592016-08-05 07:22:22
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

All of them, although the off-road one is only for Cayennes.

When you arrive your instructor will ask what you want to get out of your session and will tailor it accordingly. You can also go out on the local roads if you're trying out different settings/options in 'real world' situations. Again, if you ask and there's something available, you might get a go in a sports car for example. It's up to you. But try all the tracks, skid pan etc and then spend more time on the one you prefer.

Plenty stuff on here if you search 'PEC' and 'Silverstone'.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Captain Sponge

Post by Captain Sponge »

One piece of advice I was given, and ignored, was to get the instructor to do a few hot laps on a circuit, to show you how fast they are. A quicker step to going fast yourself?

The whole experience is rather special, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit this week and learnt a lot. This coming from a high mileage driver, it's good to have someone observe and correct a few habits amongst all the demonstration of how good these cars are......
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The old handling circuit is best.

The new circuit is supposed to be low friction and if it is very wet it can be fun as there is more chance of a breakaway.

Read prior posts on the PEC and go with a plan.

Its all to easy just to thrash and thrash the car around the circuits.

I would suggest that if there is only you driving then ask to have a session in a sports model, I did in a 911S which was great fun and so much quicker than a Macan Turbo.

As the Captain quotes, re having the instructor do a few laps, you will get more out of 10 minutes with him showing you the lines and braking techniques than 1 hour of you thrashing the beast.

Most of all enjoy your session and enjoy the meals they provide, lunch in particular is very good.

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Mooper

Post by Mooper »

Strangely the acceleration & emergency braking excercises gave me the most adrenaline. The instructor appears to be leaving an impossibly short distance to the end of the track before getting you to slam on and even steer! Shows what a capable car the Macan is. Got driven round the off-road circuit in a Cayenne - crazy angles that I'd never attempt.
Sportback

Post by Sportback »

I would suggest doing them all with a bit of variety as if you keep going and going on one you will soon feel a bit queezy!

SB
Macan S Diesel ordered 06/12/2014 - Locked Down 15/12/2015 - Delivered March 2016
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH5EKVU2
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Think I suffered from a form of motion sickness after a few goes at emergency braking! Confused
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Captain Sponge

Post by Captain Sponge »

Ref the emergency braking practice, I found it stunning how fast the Macan stopped. So much so that the Instructor gently reminded to really bury the pedal on the next attempt as I hadn't got the car to fully work!
The Lane change has to be quick to avoid stopping half way through the change, bloody stable cars when under brakes, makes me want to go and test it on my soon to be replaced Audi and spot the difference?

Perhaps I@d best not tempt fate as it's going tomorrow morning.