Dashcam Installation

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Woodhouse wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:58 pm Just fitted a Garmin mini 2 using this thread as a guide. Thank you to OP 👍
I fitted mine using the OBDII port as the power point. No messing about with the fuses just cost an extra £15 for the cable from Amazon. Whole job took about 10 minutes. The Obd plug has a rocker switch to turn on surveillance mode and has voltage monitoring. When turned off it stops recording after 5 mins.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479

Woodhouse

Post by Woodhouse »

AllanG wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:37 pm
Woodhouse wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:58 pm Just fitted a Garmin mini 2 using this thread as a guide. Thank you to OP 👍
I’d welcome your feedback on the Garmin Mini 2, after you’ve used it for a while, as I’m thinking of fitting the same….many thanks! 👍
Hi. A few journeys out today. Have installed it so I can’t see any trace from driving position. It’s small enough for that to be easy. Nice wide angle view. Decent quality footage. Sure there is better but would easily do the job if needed. Makes a very ‘electronica’ chirp when ignition on but otherwise unobtrusive.

One thing I notice with the Audi (Porsche) dash cam on loaner macans and 911 was how sensitive and obtrusive it was both in terms of always seeing it and constant alerts for every bump or blip of the gas, certainly not the case with the garmin.

So far so happy.
Macan S - MY23 - PRG1YBJ5 - (his)

F60 Mini Countryman Cooper S (hers)
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Woodhouse wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:13 pm
I’d welcome your feedback on the Garmin Mini 2, after you’ve used it for a while, as I’m thinking of fitting the same….many thanks! 👍
Hi. A few journeys out today. Have installed it so I can’t see any trace from driving position. It’s small enough for that to be easy. Nice wide angle view. Decent quality footage. Sure there is better but would easily do the job if needed. Makes a very ‘electronica’ chirp when ignition on but otherwise unobtrusive.

One thing I notice with the Audi (Porsche) dash cam on loaner macans and 911 was how sensitive and obtrusive it was both in terms of always seeing it and constant alerts for every bump or blip of the gas, certainly not the case with the garmin.

So far so happy.
Good feedback- this would be very important for me. I don’t want any sounds or chirps or flashing lights at any time. Just record stuff on a loop so I can access it hopefully never 😊
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I’ve found with the dash cams I’ve used that you can silence most, if not all, the sounds they make. And turn off the various LEDs too.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

So far so happy.
Many thanks, Woodhouse 👍 When you say ‘ chirp’, is this noise heard only when you first turn the ignition on, or can you hear this noise all the time the ignition is on?
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

There are no chirps from the Porsche dashcam if you set up the sensitivity properly. It works perfectly and is not visible if it’s positioned correctly by the OPC. Apart from mine telling me it’s started recording or gone into parking mode I wouldn’t know it’s there 😉
Macan S MY 2023
Woodhouse

Post by Woodhouse »

AllanG wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:26 pm

So far so happy.
Many thanks, Woodhouse 👍 When you say ‘ chirp’, is this noise heard only when you first turn the ignition on, or can you hear this noise all the time the ignition is on?
Just on ignition and on removing the key. No noises except if it detects and starts recording which it’s done once due to a large pot hole I didn’t see. Can’t see an option to mute.
Macan S - MY23 - PRG1YBJ5 - (his)

F60 Mini Countryman Cooper S (hers)
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Woodhouse wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:06 pm
AllanG wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:26 pm

So far so happy.
Just on ignition and on removing the key. No noises except if it detects and starts recording which it’s done once due to a large pot hole I didn’t see. Can’t see an option to mute.
Excellent…thank you 👍
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon