Display problems

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

Drove from Lincolnshire to Berwick a couple of days ago and had main PCM display on navigation for all the journey. When almost there I selected the tuner display and noticed that it was only in black and white, no colour on the radio station icons. Didn't think much about it at the time. Next day on local trips the tuner display wax again just black and white. Today on heading on the long journey home, noticed the display was again black and white, but also that the map display on the right hand multifunction display was completely blank except for the speed limit display. All other displays in the multifunctional display were fine, the navigation display was working, but one click up on the right hand thumb wheel just produced a blank screen. Stopped for a break after about two hours, turned off the car, waited a minute or so and turned it on again. No change, black and white tuner display and blank map display in the multifunction display, the map was fine on the main display. Went for lunch, on return it was all working correctly again. Has anyone had this before?
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric

daftpuddin

Post by daftpuddin »

Glad to hear it's ok now. I've had unresolved pcm/display problems since last September (car was then 3 months old).

Radio station icons fuzzy for some stations, Google Earth gradually getting fuzzy until no longer useable, latest google map won't/not downloaded.

Took it to OPC last September to resolve. They wrongly diagnosed the problem and advised useless solution (wait nearly 6 months for Porsche software update - which I had a few weeks ago at the OPC). Made no difference whatsoever to the problems.

The solution for fuzzy Google earth screen problem actually came from members of this forum. It was a PCM/sim connectivity problem. Quickly tested and solved - swap sim! I could have wasted 6 months if I'd listened to OPC.

Fuzzy icons - other than suggest the recent software update (which made no difference) Porsche haven't come up with any other ideas.

Google earth failed update - Porsche have no idea of what to do.

I've also got the creeping sunblind syndrome! I only found out the cause after noticing this occurred only when I'd used remote fob to fold in the mirrors (not a problem if you use your phone to close mirrors remotely). Looks like a program/software problem associated with key fob? Disgusted, (but completely not surprised) when Porsche GB said they have no plans to resolve this problem. They've basically said tough, you just have to accept this fault with the car

I've suggested changing pcm - been told no need to, it's not a pcm problem!!!

So, three faults identified within first weeks of ownership to which Porsche demonstrated complete inability to resolve or have no intention of doing so

Interestingly, you can imagine the exchanges I've had to have with the OPC, it's parent company (Pendragon), and Porsche GB. Inept, evasive and dishonest are the evidenced based comments I've fed back to them.

So right now the car still has the very same unresolved problems with Porsche and not a solution in sight if ever.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I've also got the creeping sunblind syndrome! I only found out the cause after noticing this occurred only when I'd used remote fob to fold in the mirrors (not a problem if you use your phone to close mirrors remotely). Looks like a program/software problem associated with key fob? Disgusted, (but completely not surprised) when Porsche GB said they have no plans to resolve this problem. They've basically said tough, you just have to accept this fault with the car

It looks as if the person who you spoke to at Porsche GB is lacking in knowledge. If you hold the lock button on the key fob then after the mirrors fold not only will the sunblind close but any open windows will also close.

If you take your finger off the lock button as soon as the mirrors start to move then the sunblind stays where it is.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Glad it's all working again. Only ever had 1 issues on the pcm which was yesterday when I could not change Music track.
Turned engine off and back on and all perfect again.

They are computers so it will happen from time to time with no reason at all.
GTS 😀
daftpuddin

Post by daftpuddin »

Thanks. Thats the theory and might be what is supposed to happen.

In practice though the very instant the mirrors move the sun blind moves also. There is no "after" the mirrors fold before the sun blind starts to close. The sun blind will therefore always start to close - the extent depending on how quick you release the button when the mirrors start to close. There's not even a millisecond delay, the blind closes instantaneously

It's a known Porsche problem. The OPC had the car in twice. Firstly claiming the motor needed replacing so did so - no effect whatsoever. Other than after that, when it was closed fully, it simply reached the fully closed position then instantly opened itself by about 20cms or so each time!

Second visit they re- aligned the rails. Told me they'd fixed it - total bollox, had no effect at all. I think Porsche want the OPC to tell customers something, anything, rather than say they can't or won't fix a problem with their car.
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

It's done it again, took photos this time so will be in contact with the dealer tomorrow.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Interesting. I had a blank display on the right had round screen yesterday instead of a map. It is fine today. Didn't pay any attention to the colours on the main PCM but I will look if this happens again. It will be interesting to see what they tell you.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I had a few issues with loosing digital radio station tuning and general erratic behaviour from my PCM from day one. After a few attempts at fixes the complete PCM was changed. Problem solved, so there are faulty ones about. This was all before the latest software update, which has just lately been done, but I can see no difference what so ever. Rab J2017-03-15 07:11:58
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Paul

Post by Paul »

Interesting. I had a blank display on the right had round screen yesterday instead of a map. It is fine today. Didn't pay any attention to the colours on the main PCM but I will look if this happens again. It will be interesting to see what they tell you.

I've had this a couple of times, it doesn't right itself on mine until the ign has been switched off fully and left. I don't think it has happened since I had the software update done (but I can't be 100% sure)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I've had this a couple of times, it doesn't right itself on mine until the ign has been switched off fully and left. I don't think it has happened since I had the software update done (but I can't be 100% sure)

I presume it crashes and is fixed by re-booting. The trouble is that the systems don't shut down fully to re-start until it has been off for a while. Or maybe locked and unlocked. I don't know. A way of re-booting the PCM would be good, but I bet there isn't one.