Transfer box failed

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
davewf
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:35 pm

Re: Transfer box failed

Post by davewf » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:16 am

If mine fails out of warranty they will find themselves in a small claims court if no change FOC is forthcoming.


User avatar
Tall Phil
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Transfer box failed

Post by Tall Phil » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:14 pm

The question is whether any of the replaced transfer boxes have failed?
GTS \o/


User avatar
Guy
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:06 am
Location: Shropshire

Re: Transfer box failed

Post by Guy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:21 pm

Tall Phil wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:14 pm
The question is whether any of the replaced transfer boxes have failed?
I reckon that they fail at about the 2 year point, irrespective of mileage. Given that the Macan was first introduced in (mid?) 2014, if there are double failures then we should start to see them soon.


User avatar
Dartmoor
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:47 am

Re: Transfer box failed

Post by Dartmoor » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:58 pm

I have managed to get my transfer box replaced after the front CV joint was replaced and did not solve the problem.
My car was 2 1/2 years old and 18k miles when problem started/became noticeable.
I have had the same discussion re warranty regarding CV joints and transfer box, response was no guarantee on warranty repairs just rely on goodwill!
I guess we just have to swallow the cost of extended warranty until we replace the car with a different brand, but which one?
I have no faith in waiting for the new hybrid.


User avatar
Tall Phil
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Transfer box failed

Post by Tall Phil » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:19 pm

I am at the 2 year / 18K miles point...............no probs .....yet :lol:
GTS \o/


User avatar
jesim1
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:26 pm
Location: Nr Wigan

Re: Transfer box failed

Post by jesim1 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:17 am

My transfer box has just gone...…………………………….. :evil:

On the bright side - I put my car into Porsche Bolton for an MOT and asked them to check everything out, especially the rough running I was getting pulling away and turning hard in car parks - They called me the same day to confirm the transfer box had gone, and told me if I'd let them keep the car for 48hrs they would have it fixed - job done, and under warranty at 2.9 years old and 40k miles, which is why it went to Porsche for it's MOT and a health check before the warranty runs out in 3 weeks time :)

Apparently this was caused by a rubber seal perishing and letting in water - and we all know what happens when you mix water and gear box components :ugeek:

I'm not going to extend the warranty though. I've had mine fitted with a tuning box from new and had the wheels and brakes powder coated in black and red, so if either had an issue I don't want to be paying for something I would have issues claiming for.

James
Functional & fun, ooh err missus: http://www.porsche-code.com/PGCJ9I91


User avatar
Guy
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:06 am
Location: Shropshire

Re: Transfer box failed

Post by Guy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:14 am

jesim1 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:17 am
My transfer box has just gone...…………………………….. :evil:

On the bright side - I put my car into Porsche Bolton for an MOT and asked them to check everything out, especially the rough running I was getting pulling away and turning hard in car parks - They called me the same day to confirm the transfer box had gone, and told me if I'd let them keep the car for 48hrs they would have it fixed - job done, and under warranty at 2.9 years old and 40k miles, which is why it went to Porsche for it's MOT and a health check before the warranty runs out in 3 weeks time :)

Apparently this was caused by a rubber seal perishing and letting in water - and we all know what happens when you mix water and gear box components :ugeek:

I'm not going to extend the warranty though. I've had mine fitted with a tuning box from new and had the wheels and brakes powder coated in black and red, so if either had an issue I don't want to be paying for something I would have issues claiming for.

James
Any issues (from the dealer) with the tuning box as far as the warranty work for the transfer box goes? Or did you remove the tuning box before taking it in for the inspection?


User avatar
GeoffH
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:38 pm

Re: Transfer box failed

Post by GeoffH » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Just heard back from Porsche - they will provide a new transfer box and any parts for free but I have to contribute £500 towards labour costs (approx. three hours.) Better than nothing I suppose.
(My 2015 Macan is just out of warranty - 20,000 miles)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PF8MVM34


User avatar
Paul
Posts: 6869
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:19 pm
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Re: Transfer box failed

Post by Paul » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:35 pm

GeoffH wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:31 pm
Just heard back from Porsche - they will provide a new transfer box and any parts for free but I have to contribute £500 towards labour costs (approx. three hours.) Better than nothing I suppose.
(My 2015 Macan is just out of warranty - 20,000 miles)
Was that Porsche as in your dealership or Porsche as in customer services? If it was just the dealership it might be worth a call to Reading....3 yrs and 20000 miles is a bit disappointing to say the least on a major ish unit and a known problem.....
1st Sapphire Blue SD
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1986

Current Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296


User avatar
Guy
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:06 am
Location: Shropshire

Re: Transfer box failed

Post by Guy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:38 pm

GeoffH wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:31 pm
Just heard back from Porsche - they will provide a new transfer box and any parts for free but I have to contribute £500 towards labour costs (approx. three hours.) Better than nothing I suppose.
(My 2015 Macan is just out of warranty - 20,000 miles)
Except that another £300 would have given you a whole year's warranty (total £800). Perhaps worth asking if you can buy a belated one year's warranty instead of contributing towards labour?


Post Reply

Return to “Main Porsche Macan Chat”