Transfer box failed

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Pancus

Post by Pancus »

Hi. I’ve been advised by my OPC that my transfer case need changing. This will be changed under warranty.

My question is that they can’t do the work for a month due to loan car availability. Does continuing to run my SD that needs a new transfer case potentially cause any consequential damage?

Thanks in advance.

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

If neither the OPC nor the car tells you to stop driving you can continue, and you'd be covered in the unlikely event something else happens. Normal driving will not cause consequential damage, just try to minimise reversing on full lock or using the car in low traction situations where full 4 wheel drive kicks in. Even so, any further damage is only going to occur in the transfer box, so rest easy.

If symptoms significantly worsen, very unlikely in normal driving, get back to your OPC.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Pancus

Post by Pancus »

Thanks Nick. Much appreciated.
farnandez

Post by farnandez »

I also had a similar issue...
Best regards
J.farnandez gbwhatsapp
Monie

Post by Monie »

Spicky wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:37 am Took my SD with 20,000 miles into Nottingham OPC yesterday for a test run!
They confirmed that the transfer box needs changing, symptoms are not smooth when accelerating, feels like something is stuck to the tyres!
Said they couldnt deal with it until after Xmas, but if I rang Porsche assist and got it "collected" they would A. lend me a car and B. get the job done quicker.
I asked them to order the new box in from Germany so it can be ready for the car but apparently that is not possible anymore, their technician has to confirm the work required when the cars with them.GBWhatsApp APK
My concern is that in another 20K if it should fail again who pays?
Not at all pleased with any part of this, will keep you updated
So, who pays the bill if it fail in another 2K?
mastershown

Post by mastershown »

Monie wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:48 am
Spicky wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:37 am Took my SD with 20,000 miles into Nottingham OPC yesterday for a test run!
They confirmed that the transfer box needs changing, symptoms are not smooth when accelerating, feels like something is stuck to the tyres!
Said they couldnt deal with it until after Xmas, but if I rang Porsche assist and got it "collected" they would A. lend me a car and B. get the job done quicker.
I asked them to order the new box in from Germany so it can be ready for the car but apparently that is not possible anymore, their technician has to confirm the work required when the cars with them.
My concern is that in another 20K if it should fail again who pays?
Not at all pleased with any part of this, will keep you updated
So, who pays the bill if it fail in another 2K?
one who manage bills if it fails in another 2K! :D
Shown.:?:
boreas7

Post by boreas7 »

My transfer box was replaced under warranty and I was led to believe that the replacement, is a refurbished second hand box which has a 7 year warranty.

Also have been told that although a faulty transer box gives an unpleasant driving experience, Porsche had never had one fail to the point the car is undrivable.

I believe that this is a VAG wide issue and other manufacterres such as Honda and the dreaded Range Rover suffer a similar problem.
levitaylor

Post by levitaylor »

Has anyone else experienced transfer box issues with their Porsche or other VAG vehicles, like Honda or Range Rover?
Curious to know if this is a widespread problem across different manufacturers.
Levi TaylorGB WhatsApp
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I’m curious as well - I’ve heard of this being a problem on the Cayenne too. I’ve had a couple of Audi A6s with quattro and I’ve never heard of it being an issue on them. Why does Porsche use an Audi platform but not the same 4wd system?
2023 Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PPMPKF77
Due 2025: Cayenne S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PRBH59L6
2023 Audi S6 Avant
Suzuki Jimny
Mini Cooper
JavierEscuella92

Post by JavierEscuella92 »

Pancus wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:44 am Hi. I’ve been advised by my OPC that my transfer case need changing. This will be changed under warranty.

My question is that they can’t do the work for a month due to loan car availability. Does continuing to run my SD that needs a new transfer case potentially cause any consequential damage?

Thanks in advance.
Continuing to drive your vehicle with a known issue, such as a faulty transfer case, could potentially lead to further damage or complications. Here are some considerations:

Transfer Case FunctionalityYoWhatsApp 5.0 Download:

The transfer case plays a crucial role in distributing power between the front and rear wheels, especially in four-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive vehicles. A malfunctioning transfer case may result in uneven power distribution, affecting vehicle performance.
Potential Consequences:

Driving with a faulty transfer case could lead to additional strain on other components, such as the drivetrain or transmission. Over time, this may cause more severe damage and result in a more complex and costly repair.
Safety Concerns:

Depending on the extent of the transfer case issue, there might be safety concerns, especially if the vehicle is used in challenging driving conditions or off-road. Unpredictable handling or loss of control could be potential risks.
Fluid Leaks:

Transfer case issues might involve fluid leaks, which could lead to low fluid levels. Inadequate lubrication can cause increased friction and heat, potentially damaging internal components.
Given these considerations, it is generally advisable to address known issues promptly, especially when covered under warranty. If you continue driving the vehicle, try to minimize stressful driving conditions and monitor for any signs of worsening symptoms, such as unusual noises, vibrations, or fluid leaks.

Before making a decision, it's recommended to consult with your OPC (Original Parts Center) again, explaining your concerns and asking for their professional advice based on the specific condition of your vehicle.