Panoramic sunroof leak.

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Loffree wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:36 am Hi guys, my 20 plate Macan S has a leak in the footwells of the nearside. I took mine into an independent garage and they unblocked the channels but this morning I woke up to the problem again. Over the summer I left a roof rack on there for about 3 months. Could this have caused a problem?
Having fitted my roof bars on only a couple of occasions, I can't see how.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP

MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Neil1911 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:02 am
Loffree wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:36 am Hi guys, my 20 plate Macan S has a leak in the footwells of the nearside. I took mine into an independent garage and they unblocked the channels but this morning I woke up to the problem again. Over the summer I left a roof rack on there for about 3 months. Could this have caused a problem?
Having fitted my roof bars on only a couple of occasions, I can't see how.
Me neither. The bars are fitted to the rails so nowhere near the sunroof
Loffree

Post by Loffree »

I just spoke to another independent garage and they said that if I have already tried to clear the drains and that has not worked then the issue is the cassette. If that is the case expect a bill of £5.5k...
andreas

Post by andreas »

Loffree wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:03 pm I just spoke to another independent garage and they said that if I have already tried to clear the drains and that has not worked then the issue is the cassette. If that is the case expect a bill of £5.5k...
Are the drains running freely? If not, try cutting off the rubber ends at the bottom.

The cassette itself is only likely to leak if the water is seeping into the roof faster than the drains can clear it; it'll then build up in the cassette tray and overflow into the car. It's possible to adjust the position of the opening panel so as to minimise the gap through which water can enter. It's also possible to replace the seals around the panel. Either of these jobs would be worth trying first.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Loffree wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:03 pm I just spoke to another independent garage and they said that if I have already tried to clear the drains and that has not worked then the issue is the cassette. If that is the case expect a bill of £5.5k...
Have you read this thread from the start? There's an account of somebody adjusting their's to resolve an issue and although I can't be sure it's this thread I recall seeing a video of somebody fixing one. A YouTube search maybe worthwhile, if you're handy with a screwdriver ;)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
M30LEV

Post by M30LEV »

Just a quick question does any one know that with the mod required to the drain tubes ie cut off the end of the tubes to stop them blocking up. Are new cars now being built have the modified tubes being fitted during build or would they be modified prior to new car collection. I would have thought that with this issue Porsche would do somthing about this issue at manufacture. It would be easy fix during manufacture.
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

M30LEV wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:32 pm Just a quick question does any one know that with the mod required to the drain tubes ie cut off the end of the tubes to stop them blocking up. Are new cars now being built have the modified tubes being fitted during build or would they be modified prior to new car collection. I would have thought that with this issue Porsche would do somthing about this issue at manufacture. It would be easy fix during manufacture.
If they haven't been modified, I cannot see Porsche snipping the ends of the tubes off!!
I believe the ends are by (bad) design, i.e. so that they are closed until water gets to them
Loffree

Post by Loffree »

[/img][/img][/img][/img]
andreas wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:48 pm
Are the drains running freely? If not, try cutting off the rubber ends at the bottom.

The cassette itself is only likely to leak if the water is seeping into the roof faster than the drains can clear it; it'll then build up in the cassette tray and overflow into the car. It's possible to adjust the position of the opening panel so as to minimise the gap through which water can enter. It's also possible to replace the seals around the panel. Either of these jobs would be worth trying first.
The garage I took it to, snipped off the ends of the rubber and said there was loads of gunk in one of the tubes. I was hopeful this meant this problem was fixed but a few days later there was a puddle in the near side footwells.

I actually haven't done a test to see whether the water is running through freely but have now parked it in a garage with a dehumidifier to make sure it dries out completely. I will then do a test to see what the story is.

I'm worried that a roof rack left on for sometime has sort of pushed the rails apart and done some sort of damage. Hopefully not but this is when the problem started.
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Loffree wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:24 am ....The garage I took it to, snipped off the ends of the rubber and said there was loads of gunk in one of the tubes. I was hopeful this meant this problem was fixed but a few days later there was a puddle in the near side footwells....
Does your rear washer work?
Loffree

Post by Loffree »

MooseMiller wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:58 am
Loffree wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:24 am ....The garage I took it to, snipped off the ends of the rubber and said there was loads of gunk in one of the tubes. I was hopeful this meant this problem was fixed but a few days later there was a puddle in the near side footwells....
Does your rear washer work?
Hi MM, it does work, but I haven't really used it too much recently. What are you thinking?