Diesel DPF filter or Petrol -advice please

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Sulz

Post by Sulz »

Hi All

I am looking to buy a used Macan.

We currently have a 958 Cayenne which we have owned for 5 years with no issues it doesn't take ad blue and we have had no issues with a DPF filter .

My budget limits me to a petrol 2017 (not high spec) or i can go Diesel 2016 - which there are plenty of used in the market with a better spec.

My main concern is the DPF filter in the macan as its a different engine to my cayenne , spoke to a salesman at Porsche today who said my limited driving around town (wife's car mainly shopping, school runs etc) could cause issues.

We do about 6000 miles a year , mainly around town. A blast to the in laws once a week or once a fortnight which is 33 miles each way on the motorway.

With this type of driving would you avoid a diesel?

thank you

Bogus

Post by Bogus »

Yes, I would.. It is both the overall 6000 miles per annum and the multiple short trips which would make a petrol car better proposition.

I have owned diesel cars before and had DPD light come up when I do frequent short trips but as I know what to do, I take it for a long drive and have always sorted the issue out. DPF is an easy to live with if you know how to deal with it.

But more importantly it is also the extra cost of diesel that you need to factor in when doing less miles..as frequent short trips around town negate the better fuel economy you might get from a diesel.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Macan Turbo PP - Collected June 2018
LED PDLS, Pano, Air Susp, ACC, Entry & Drive, 21" Turbo 2 wheels, LDW, Heated front & rear seats, Turbo Interior Packagae, PSE
Panamera 4S (970.2) - Sold May 2018
911 C4S (991.1) - Sold May 2017
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

A "yes, I would avoid" from me too. Diesels are lovely for medium / long hauls, where they warm up properly and get the juices flowing.
For around town and local pottering, I would choose petrol engine. Mind you, the new, face lifted petrol Macans have filters too, but not the 2017 models.

Saying that, your Cayenne's DPF coped fine with your type of journeys. So that contradicts everyone's advice. :lol:

Good luck with your search! :)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Sulz

Post by Sulz »

I was dreading this would be the case. With my budget up to £35k - i am looking at really poorly specced 2017 petrols which there aren't many of on the market. But there are plenty of 2016 Diesels which plenty have great specs. I assume due to end of leases etc there are more naturally on the market.

I am not worried by fuel economy as such simply because we don't do many miles.

The Cayenne has been absolutely fine but then again i don't have to add ad blue or anything so not sure if its fine due to being a different set up.

On the 2016 Macan- do you get a warning etc ? or does it go straight to Limp mode. If I got a warning I could happily give a run to get the DPF up to temp.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

just get yourself a plug in analyser which can run the re generation cycle once in a while
Sulz

Post by Sulz »

Plug in analyser? Do you happen to have a link to one, that could be a great solution .thanks
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

have a look at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD-2-iCarsoft-POR-V2-0-PORSCHE-Diagnostic-Tool-DPF-ABS-ENGINE-BRAKE-SERVICE/291643947506
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

will VCDS do the same job with a Rosstech cable?

Thanks
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

Sulz wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:47 am Hi All

I am looking to buy a used Macan.

We currently have a 958 Cayenne which we have owned for 5 years with no issues it doesn't take ad blue and we have had no issues with a DPF filter .

My budget limits me to a petrol 2017 (not high spec) or i can go Diesel 2016 - which there are plenty of used in the market with a better spec.

My main concern is the DPF filter in the macan as its a different engine to my cayenne , spoke to a salesman at Porsche today who said my limited driving around town (wife's car mainly shopping, school runs etc) could cause issues.

We do about 6000 miles a year , mainly around town. A blast to the in laws once a week or once a fortnight which is 33 miles each way on the motorway.

With this type of driving would you avoid a diesel?

thank you
Since I retired two years ago I've used my SD in exactly the way you describe, and I've never seen the light - ever.

OPC salesmen will try to sell you what they have or are going to make most money on, not always what is best for you.

TBH though, if I was buying now I would not get an SD for this type of running, when I bought mine I was doing high teens per year, hence the SD.

James
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I have been running 6 cylinder BMW diesels with dpf for the last 8 years, they are used by my wife for school run and short journeys, never had an issue. I now have a Macan SD and haven’t had an issue yet with the same journeys.
Your 33 mile run should be enough for a regen if it’s fast road driving.
£35k may be optimistic for a 2017 car, I paid £42k for mine, admittedly with just 11k miles and great spec in July.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.