All weather tyres

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

SilverTurfer wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:02 am Its that time of year again when we start thinking of winter tyres.
I see I posted on this thread already ... I've now got 43K miles on the Latitude all weather tyres, but I really need a new set of tyres.
Its clonking away and grumbling when maneuvering very slowly.

What's the latest think on this ...
Basically a want my cake and eat it, that means I want an all season tyre I can use in the alps.
But of course it has to have the "N" rating for the Porsche warrantee.

I think I'll nip down the local tyre shop.
I don’t believe Porsche currently approve an all season tyre for the Macan so you may find it impossible to find that cake and eat it. You’ll need to check the regulations for the countries you plan to visit as some may specify only full winter tyres, ie those with the 3PMSF and/or M+S symbols on the sidewall.

Of course the best solution would be to buy a set of wheels already fitted with winter tyres. Just so happens I have a set for sale!

www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11070
Last edited by Nuclear Nick on Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I agree with Nick's comments above.

All season tyres are compromised - not so good as summer tyres for most of the year and not as good as winter tyres for severe conditions - snow and ice.

Unless you live in an area where winter temperatures are regularly below 7C, then do no t bother with winter tyres. If you do live in such a cold winter area, do you have a vehicle other than your Porsche to use and fit winter tyres? If not, consider buying one! The most effective cars are ones with narrow width tyres for winter use and a modest power output. ALWAYS fit and use a set of 4 winter tyres and ideally with similar tread depths.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
pmg

Post by pmg »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:24 pm I agree with Nick's comments above.

All season tyres are compromised - not so good as summer tyres for most of the year and not as good as winter tyres for severe conditions - snow and ice.

Unless you live in an area where winter temperatures are regularly below 7C, then do no t bother with winter tyres. If you do live in such a cold winter area, do you have a vehicle other than your Porsche to use and fit winter tyres? If not, consider buying one! The most effective cars are ones with narrow width tyres for winter use and a modest power output. ALWAYS fit and use a set of 4 winter tyres and ideally with similar tread depths.
Which is why the most sensible winter sets for the Macan are those using the narrower 18 or 19 inch wheelsets which are also cheaper.

When I ran a BMW first on summers throughout the year then on summer and winter sets. I found the mileage gained from the summer set went up 50% when not used in the winter for 4 months and that is on the South Coast!!
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
NickP

Post by NickP »

I ordered by 2016 SD with All Season tyres and it arrived with the Michelin Tour Latitude HPs which lasted for 55k miles of mainly dual carriageway driving. All Seasons must be a compromise but in this case I have found that compromise to be a good one. Never have I felt any sense that their summertime grip or braking distance was any less than excellent. The reason for choosing them in the first place was the last two miles to our home which is on single track, hilly and ungritted roads. On the rare occasions that we do get snow or ice, these tyres and the Macan's 4WD competence have proved fantastic, so the compromise does work in this case. When they needed replacing, I didn't hesitate to choose the same again. My wife's 4WD Jag has the Pirelli Scorpion Verde equivalents and these show similar characteristics except that they have not lasted anything like so well - less than half the distance. Hope this is helpful.